sump

sicklids

salt water dummy
alright, i am new to the whole sump thing so i was wondering if this is how one should be set up. forgive the drawing, paint sux!!! so here she is, tell me if this is at least 1/2 way correct. thanks in advance!!

sump.jpg

Last edited:
Most people usually have the skimmer in that same section that you have labled "In". Or maybe I should say it would be better to move the bubble trap after the skimmer and eliminate the 1 section before the return pump.

The way you have this drawing I assume the flow is Skimmer > Return <Fuge. So you would need to have a Tee or something to split some of your flow off to the fuge section.

If you want to do some reading here is a site that has great examples of sumps. http://www.melevsreef.com/allmysumps.html .

That's the way I have my sump set up (the second drawing). But with no divider in between the "IN" section and the skimmer. There's no need for the baffles there.

so is the three pieces of glass that i am assuming is the bubble trap unnecessary? or does it need to occur after the skimmer?

Last edited:
you want the trap after the skimmer in the in part you have the skimmer baffles fuge a baffle and the return you will need some kind of baffle or the water falling over will pump your tank full of air bubbles.

Do you plan on having your sump directly below your display in the stand? If so a 55 gal there won't leave any room for anything to be located outside of the sump.

To clarify maybe this diagram I'm using for my build will help some.

50gal_Sump.jpg

Last edited:
My sump is in the basement below my tank, but here's a pic. The overflows drain into the tank on the right side of the sump and return pump is on the left.

sump3_2-08.jpg

Hornet, if the fuge is the last section, will i need a line pumping in the water from the display tank?

Yes

In my diagram there will be 1 input to the skimmer section and another to the fuge section. The skimmer and Fuge sections flow into the return section. Have the fuge last give you the ability to separately control the flow in that section better. Some people like that way some people don't

You could use a maxi-jet with some tubing to pump water into the fuge,or tee off the main drain line.Either way will work.
Just keep in mind that a slow flow through the fuge is better than a fast flow.

My sump is in the basement below my tank, but here's a pic. The overflows drain into the tank on the right side of the sump and return pump is on the left.

sump3_2-08.jpg

Man that sump is really clean. Is this a shot taken when you first started it up ?

Back