sump

Melonbob

Reef enthusiast
Looking for plans on how to turn my 50 into a sump. I found a few, but since I am completely ignorant when it comes to sumps, it all seemed a little vague. Also, how many holes in a sump, only one for the return line? I'm assuming the drains for the main tank just fall into the top of the sump?

mine has no holes, just let it drain into the top and put the return pump inside the sump and hook the PVC pipes onto it inside the sump and you dont need any holes

All you need to do is divide it into three section and silicon baffles in it. The first section is for the output water and equipment (Skimmer, heater). Middle for refugium,last for return pump. Or you can reverse the two. Also you can add a bubble trap.

also building a 50gal sump this week. Check out Melvsreef.com It has been some of the biggest help thus far. Post some picts when you get time. What size tank is it going under?

Awesome. I am putting mine under a 165. My 50 was a planted Anglefish tank that has now become a 75 planted. Keep us posted as to how the build and the 180 does.

DSC00045edit.jpg
[/IMG]

here's how mine turned out. Not the prettiest sump but it will do what I need it to do.

Melon,check Melev's website for sump designs,I'm no good at building them myself.You will only need to drill if you plan on running an external water pump.

Back