Sun coral.......Question????

mennazeher04

Reefing newb
Hey there I have a sun coral with about 20 heads or so and I have tried to feed it. It just wont come all the way out. I have them partially shaded under a overhang. When they do come out its only partial. When i see that they have come out partial like that I try to feed them and when I put some food at the heads they go back inside the tube just as fast as they came out. So my question is WHAT DO I DO TO GET THEM TO COME OUT ALL THE WAY AND ACTUALLY EAT? Sorry about the CAPS but its frusturating because i dont want them to die because im not able to feed them. Any tips would be great thanks.:mrgreen:

if you squirt food juice on them at the same time everynight, they will start opening up on theyre own at the same time everynight. im in the process of training mine as well... at 7, an hour or so after the halide goes off i bast some ofthe water from the thawed mysis shrimp onto the entire colony [with all water flow off] and wait 15 or 20 minutes for them to come out... if you squirt one or two loads of it onto them overthe course of a few minutes it helps

I agree with lilduud. You have to train them to eat at a certain time, and being new to the tank they might not come out right away. When i bought mine it was at least 2 days before they fully extended out for food and it was right before my lights went out. Im pretty sure they mostly eat at night but should at least come out once or twice during the day. Goodluck and be patient.

also if that doesn't work move it... I had mine in a spot it just wasn't happy with and wouldn't open I moved it to a different part of the tank and it has been happy and open since.

Have you tried feeding them after the lights go out?

Yes I have tried feeding them at night and thats when i squirt some mysis at them and they go back into the tube. I was thinking about moving them but i dont know if i have another place to put them that has shade or a overhang.

Back