Sun Coral Question

I added a small frag of Sun Coral a few weeks ago. From what the guy at the LFS said, and what I've read online, these guys "require" spot feeding, but every time I get within 2-3 inches of them to feed them, they close up almost immediately. They open up in the evening just like I've read they will do, but they just won't take food when spot fed.

They seem to be doing fine on their own, and have even sprouted 3 new small heads since being added, but I just want to make sure they're being cared for properly.

Any thoughts?

You may have to wait til the lights are out and their tentacles come out before trying to spot feed them. They usually don't extend until the lights go out, until you train them to stay open during the day. What are you spot feeding them with?

Are you actually touching them when you spot feed them? If you take a turkey baster and gently squirt food in their direction, they should take to it. They do require meaty foods -- so things like mysis and Marine Cuisine are perfect for them.

I've been doing it at night when it's all the way open, and tried a couple of times when I found them open during the day. From what I've been told/read, they will open up when they're hungry.

I've tried Brine Shrimp & Mysis (spelling?) Shrimp so far, but they just close up when I get close to them. :/ It wasn't an expensive frag, so it's not about the money, I just wanna make sure they're cared for properly.

2012-07-07_15-54-15_993.jpg

EDIT: No touching at all, they start closing up when I get the turkey baster within 2-3 inches of them... before I can even start squeezing to get the food to come out.

Last edited:
Try cutting a soda bottle in half, putting it over the coral, and then squirting the food into the soda bottle - that will give it time to take the food and hopefully remain open. If it closes when you put the soda bottle over it, I'd just give it time to open back up before squirting the food in

Back