Super cheap and easy frag rack

Hiker4twenty

Reef enthusiast
Well I stole an idea from another reefer and made my own frag rack. I got a free piece of egg crate from the LFS, cut to size and glued together, which took all of 5 minutes. Then I used a small magflot and glued the frag rack to the magfloat. Simple and easy way to make a frag rack.

I'm trying to build a little shelf or terrace in the back corner of my 29G but egg crate is just a little too unsightly.

I'm trying to build a little shelf or terrace in the back corner of my 29G but egg crate is just a little too unsightly.

The egg crate doesn't look good, but it very functional for frags, especially with plugs. I figure it will be covered in coralline soon and wont look as bad. Plus, it was free.

My suggestions is to use diy garf rock. you can use the frag plugs to make perfect dents to place things. You can even stick the mag float in it if you like. You could use egg crate and cement over that. Personally I'm using nearly a full sheet of egg crate and covering it in garf type rock for an uber nice back ground for my tank. You can even ues Rite dye to make it something other than brown/white. I saw a write up on it awhile back I'm just copying that from memory. and I've made garf rock using white portand, crushed oyster shells, and rock salt. The rock salt is used so that when you cure it in water for a couple weeks the salt disolves and make UBER porus rock fantastic home for critters and pods.

Back