Super excited!! :)

I use the API reef master as well I like it..I use aptasia control works well for me. Turn off you pumps when you nuke it...but you must nuke it...

Hello and welcome :)

Gratz on the new tank! Please do not add ten more fish to your tank, it will not be able to handle it. Remember that most fish stores are out to sell fish and some do not give two hoots if the fish dies. Kill the aiptasia with aiptasia x ASAP those bad boys arent pretty when they start to take over the tank. The first picture may be (kinda hard to tell) colonial hydroids which are very bad.

If they are in fact colonial's they will be impossible to get rid of, and spread fairly quickly. Had a few in my tank and the only way i got rid of them was to remove the rock that had them on it. (tried aiptasia x, boiling water, physical removal, and a propane torch and every time they came back with a vengance.)

I would worry about the well water because i assume you are still getting the water from the same water source even thought you are on a hill. RO/DI really is the way to go.

That being said, best of luck! There are plenty of great articles on this site and liveaquaria.com has great info on fish.

I use the API reef master as well I like it..I use aptasia control works well for me. Turn off you pumps when you nuke it...but you must nuke it...

The aptasia X will not harm the fish or coral will it?

I think I am going to go ahead and buy the API reef master kit, and the aptasia x..

turn off the pumps so its contained its very focused...A syringe..the aip eats it and dies....

Hello and welcome :)

Gratz on the new tank! Please do not add ten more fish to your tank, it will not be able to handle it. Remember that most fish stores are out to sell fish and some do not give two hoots if the fish dies. Kill the aiptasia with aiptasia x ASAP those bad boys arent pretty when they start to take over the tank. The first picture may be (kinda hard to tell) colonial hydroids which are very bad.

If they are in fact colonial's they will be impossible to get rid of, and spread fairly quickly. Had a few in my tank and the only way i got rid of them was to remove the rock that had them on it. (tried aiptasia x, boiling water, physical removal, and a propane torch and every time they came back with a vengance.)

I would worry about the well water because i assume you are still getting the water from the same water source even thought you are on a hill. RO/DI really is the way to go.

That being said, best of luck! There are plenty of great articles on this site and liveaquaria.com has great info on fish.

We are going to start using the fresh water from the store. What about distilled water?
We tried to remove the rock, but the rock that it is on has coral attached to it..how do we remove the rock and not the coral?

Nope it won't hurt fish or corals. Just smother the bad guys with it.

Turn the pumps off, and SLOWLY get the syringe to it so that it doesn't retract. Then slowly push the plunger until you smother the guy. It takes a it of practice to do it without scaring them into their hiding place.

We tried to grab it with some thongs, but it just retracted. My boyfriend didn't believe me when I told him, so of course he had to try to. How long does it take for them to come back out?

If you grab it it will shred, each piece grows into a new one..

Darn, we thought about that after we tried. So we stopped. I am hoping I can pick it up straight from the store instead of waiting for it to come in the mail.

So since it might be growing in places that I can not see, can I just put it in the water? Would that be harmful to the rest of the stuff in the tank?

What causes it to grow? During the move of the tank, the temperature dropped down to about 72 degrees (thinking that is what killed the Damsel?), we have now got the temperature back up to 76 degrees. What is the ideal temperature to keep it at? Where do you keep your heater in your tank? The one we have is jammed all the way at the bottom in the corner by the skimmer...The heater it self is set at 95%....We are talking about getting two smaller heaters and moving them to be a bit more effective and taking the big heater stick out.

My tank is a pretty steady 80*. Most people run two heaters (neither strong enough to heat the whole tank) concurrently, so that "tank boil" is no longer a worry.

And honestly, I don't think the drop to 72 would have killed the damsel. Because if it happened while you were moving, it would have been a gradual drop.

Aiptasia is just a hitchhiker. It was in there all along, it probably just because visible after the move.

You have to apply Aiptasia X DIRECTLY to each nem. Just dumping it in the tank won't help at all.

I dont have any visible aptasia at the moment but I look everyday. Its just one of the things you look for when you stare at the tank...Mindlessly, not breathing, drool hanging from the corner of your mouth...or is that just me..Anyway, Aiptaisa X or Aiptasia control both work great and you should always have some on hand. Make sure you close the lid tight (with pliers) so it doesnt dry out. That happened to me once and wouldnt you know it I found it was dry because i found a huge aip poking out behind a rock at three in the morning one night....ok I was using a flashlight looking for whatever was crawling around in the dark.....yes I am a reef geek...its a disease I tell ya and you have it to now....:D

Well we got the aiptaisa X and applied it on the ones I could see. There was even one RIGHT next to the only coral we have......Glad to have that taken care of. :) Makes me feel better!

All the fish are doing well, and my antheias are finally out and about swimming around and not always hinding!

This weekend we are going to get two heaters and redo some of the electrical stuff. For some reason there is a metal power strip (RUST and FIRE HAZARD!), so we are going to replace that. I think we are also going to get out tap water tested completely for what minerals are visible by the state (since our county sends it to the state)

Will the cleaner shrimp clean the coral like he does the fish and rock? Or will he eat it??

Cleaner shrimp do not clean coral or rock. They eat food that falls and parasites off of fish. Well, some of them eat the parasites, some will ignore your fish.

He LOVES the fish! Thanks for the info! My boyfriend started to worry about him, asking if there was anything we needed to feed him...and I told him no, he eats what he cleans off the fish!

Back