super glue gel

ZOOT098

Reefing newb
is it ok to use superglue gel to reattach a soft coral or mushroom to a rock or a plug

i had some softies come detached in shipping

Now that I have your attention, let me explain....

I have used all kinds of super glue gel from Loctite to krazy and super glue. All of them have killed the soft coral I have used them on. I will never use glue on a soft coral again.

LPS and SPS it is great, but I believe the softies suck up the glue into their bodies when they expand and contract, poisoning them. I have no proof other than trying it about a dozen times on everything from toadstools and mushrooms to xenia and nepthia. Just my :twocents: but I have no scientific proof. But hey, that is how I roll. Good luck to you.

-Doc

Really? I've used super glue gel tons of times, and I've never once had a problem with it. There were times I super glued frags to rocks, and they were happy with all polyps extended within minutes. Perhaps certain corals are more affected?

i used a product called "CorAffix" cyanoacrylate adhesive

doc i didnt get your warning until after i did it, i guess i will wait and see

I've never gotten it to stick a damn thing, do you guys take everything out of the water to do this? How doo you go about it?

No, I do it underwater. Just open up the tube, stick it in the tank wherever you need it, squeeze out a bunch (I use like half a tube at a time), then plop your coral into it. It will stay gooey for a while underwater, but will stick eventually.

i actually took the coral out of the water, put a blob on the coral then attached it under water

the stuff i used needs the water to harden

I guess I have just bad luck. I avoid the stuff for softies. I use it often with SPS and LPS tho. I prefer to allow the coral to grow naturally where it wants to fall, but shoot, sometimes they don't want to stay on a ledge!!!

I have no clue why it happened. Just pissed me off each time so I quite trying. I have done both above water and under the water. Maybe I should not have rubbed them up and down my naked body first...hmmmm... I will have to check into that as a potential reason for death.... ;-)

-Doc

Doc,bud.That IS NOT the image I wanted in my head tonight.

Excuse my while I rip all the soft corals out of my tank now,poor polyps.:mrgreen:

Back