Super Hermit

phastroh

Do Not Listen To Me!!!
I was at Green Key Beach with my daughter just having fun. We decided we would hunt for Hermit Crab which we never found but I know they are there.

I found some snails that were is weird sheels that I am used to seeing Hermits in but as we were walking back down the beach a lady said her daughter had one we could have and that she heard me talking to my daughter about fining them.

I said ok so I go to look at it and I was like holy crap that is big.

So I decided that I would take it home even though it was from the ocean.

Here are some photos of it. The bubble coral is not a small coral so you can see it is large.

The Forgspawn is roughly between a baseball and golfball in size.

Hermit-1 by Phastroh1, on Flickr

Hermit-2 by Phastroh1, on Flickr

Hermit-3 by Phastroh1, on Flickr

Hermit-4 by Phastroh1, on Flickr

I have been following him for that reason every day.

I am on him all the time. So far he hasn't touched anything. He runs all over though and climbs the rocks so fast it's crazy.

My first plan was to keep an eye on him and if I see anything he will go back to the beach. I have been also keeping an eye out with my other inverts an so far so good for the first week.

Once placed in a captive setting, an animal really shouldn't be re-introduced to the ocean. There are all sorts of things they can pick up in our captive systems that could cause a lot of problems if introduced into the wild...

I don't think I will have to worry about it. I have other places he can live before that will happen. I really like him and he interacts with me at the glass which the other just sit there or walk by.

He climbs to the top of the rocks like the king of the tank.

Yes but we should fly our torch corals at half depth today as I found him dead.

He had been sitting in one spot here and there for a day or so at a time but wasn't dead. Well I have a mated pair of clowns that are medium sized and he kept chillin by their eggs and I saw the male slapping it a little with his tail.

I came in and saw his head ripped of his body and they were both sitting outside his shell. Kind of sad but he must have been trying to eat the eggs for days and finally got killed.

Lesson: Don't mess with the Clown Eggs.

Gulf of Mexico right near my house so I would say warm but I don't know the temp. He was fine for days though.

I just know he seemed to be camping near the eggs and the clowns were not happy.

Back