super skimmer

Yeah...that looks pretty sad. Just get your original pump and soak the whole thing overnight in vinegar. Make sure you take out the impellor and clean and soak that real good. Get a drill bit that is just slightly bigger than the hole on the air intake nipple and bore it out. It's not much, but will improve air intake. Then get some fishing line and wrap it around the needlewheel like the pic I posted on the previous page. The skimmer will definitely work better than it is now.

Where do you guys keep the water level on your CSS's? The guy on RC that recommended the RIO mod asked me why I kept my water level so high... He said he keeps his at the red ring?! I keep mine just above the collection cup.

When I was using mine, the water level is at the red ring and it works fine for me. the key is to make sure that the pump is no more than 4 inches below the water surface.

And I wouldn't soak the skimmer in vinegar. it will take the slime coat on it and you will have to break it in again.

I kept the water line anywhere between the black lines. It's about at the blue line in this pic.

skimmer-cropped_2-9-08.jpg

That's about where mine is also. My skim mate is a very dark brown almost black. My bubbles aren't as high as yours.

Back