Supplemental lighting?

Sir Alex

Dragon the eel (below)
So far I like my lights a lot... They seem to grow corals well and I've hardly had any algae growth. But... I'd like it if it were a little more on the blue side.

Would a 48" magenta/453nm blue stunner make a big difference?

my magenta/453nm blue's are much more purple then I expected. Are you looking for the blue light or more algae growth?

Coraline algae?

I try to grow a little hair algae in my tank just to have something for my angels to pick at. It really doesn't have much of a chance to grow though.

A LFS here in Orlando uses the Current USA TrueLumen LEDs on their 500g display tank (the Deep Water strips) an it looks AMAZING! I use the mixed color one on my 29g and love it. The initial cost sucks but once you have the power supply you can link up to 6 strips.

Take a look at a 12" blue/magenta strip. I have one on mine and it adds a lot of colour. The magenta is supposed to be good for algae growth from what I've read. Please correct me if Im wrong. I have the full 48" actinic/white strip ove mine too and it's almost like a black light. I'm also running 1 actinic and 3 10,000k t5's over mine. It's enough light for my softies and fish.

Alex - there are some that use LED lighting that feel the current white / blue / royal blue is missing something from the spectrum - the consenus seems to be something either in the red or UV spectrum. Several people have tried adding UV stunner strips to get this additional color but I have not really seen a definitive answer in any of those threads. You could try adding a magenta/UV stunner strip and see if it helps out.

I have considered doing this on my tank as well, once i get past the water issues I'm currently having

Alex - there are some that use LED lighting that feel the current white / blue / royal blue is missing something from the spectrum - the consenus seems to be something either in the red or UV spectrum. Several people have tried adding UV stunner strips to get this additional color but I have not really seen a definitive answer in any of those threads. You could try adding a magenta/UV stunner strip and see if it helps out.

I have considered doing this on my tank as well, once i get past the water issues I'm currently having

Well I'm hoping those SOLs have better coloration than my light...

They do, the color of the tank is not the issue. Apparently some SPS lost some of the color they have without the UV lighting. I don't have much in SPS at the moment... so I havent really made playing around with the LED coloration a priority

I really have no complaints about the SOL's, other than the required wiring making them look messy. Color wise I can go anywhere from about 5.5K to 20k+ with the spin of a dial

Back