supplementing a baby reef tank

poolshark181

Reefing newb
so, i have a ton of coralline, a few stalks of xenia, and zoanthids now. I think i should start dosing calcium and maybe strontium. anything else i should start dosing?

for calcium, i hear mrs wages pickling lime is a good alternative to kalk. what is the proper way of adding this?

thanks guys!

Normally one of the most common mistakes made is to start a dosing program without testing 1st. Before you dose, make sure your system tests indicate a need to dose. if it is not broken do not break it. I only recommend product developed for the marine hobby. good luck, keep us posted.

A kid at the LFS was trying to sell me a calcium buffer/booster without knowing where my water tested at.

I told him 3 times, "I'm NOT dosing anything untill I get a test kit for that SPECIFIC chemical and find out where my tank water is."

He was a high school aged kid--maybe 20yrs old at the most. Kept telling me how he used this product and his tank and his corals blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah.

I ended up telling him that he was an idiot and left. He just would NOT listen to what I was telling him. I'm NOT going to dose my tank with any trace elements or buffers until I can test for it and show a deficiency.

I think that regular water changes probably does a lot for your trace elements. If you want to dose for calcium or whatever, get a test kit for that first and see where your at. Just willy nilly dumping addatives and chemicals in your tank sounds like a sure-fire way to screw up a good thing.

You could very well need calcium for your coraline. And you might need a pH buffer.

Test for it first.

If you can run a test consistantly on a daily or weekly basis and show a certain deficiency, then you could figure out how much you need to dose and how frequently.

Let's say you buy a calcium test kit and you test every day for a month. If the test shows that you are consistanly low (like 300 or 350) then you can decide if you want to dose the tank back up to a normal level. (450+/-). Once you have established that your tank nees to be dosed every 2 days with X amount of calcium--then maybe you can slack off to testing it once a week for peae of mind. But, run a lot of baseline tests up front to establish how fast your tank is depleting the calcium.

Same with any other things you may want to dose. Run baseline tests on a consistant basis and establish the pattern first. Dose the tank accordingly. Then you might think about slowing down on the testing once you have a regular and consistant routine down.

I'm a newbie though. Thats how I'd do it, but the rest of the group around here might have better advice.

(sry for rambling so long :shock: )

Back