Surface Slime from Hell

sen5241b

Reef enthusiast
I've had that waxy, whitish surface slime before but this time its really bad.

I've skimmed the surface 3 days in a row. Fed nothing yesterday or today. Yesterday I moved a pump near the top of the tank and pointed the nozzle directly at the surface. I verified nothing died.

Come home today and its as bad as ever. What is the root cause of surface slime?

Sorry to hear that sen...are there any airborne chemicals (air fresheners, cleaning solutions) anywhere near the tank possibly?

Try laying a paper towel on the surface of the water and manually remove as much as you can. Why you have a bad case of it, im not sure.

Whenever I have had the whitish surface slime, I have never been able to tie it anything chemical, anything dead or any other event. I did clean some red cyano out of my fuge last night. We'll see if it helps.

Are you running a skimmer?

I do know that fish waste is atracted to where air and water meet. Maybe it is just excess fish waste?:dunno:

Are you running a skimmer?

I do know that fish waste is attracted to where air and water meet. Maybe it is just excess fish waste?:dunno:

I've fed them this much before and saw no trace or surface slime. Corals all look fine. Its the weirdest thing. I'll change carbon next.

Hmmm that's weird, I had this problem in my 75 before I added the overflow. But, it was because it wasn't getting surface skimmed and there was a build up of protein waste at the surface. The biocube should be pulling it off the top when it goes into the chambers so I don't know what's causing it.

Solved: Took a metal tool and scraped out the vents on the back wall of my BC29. The coralline was starting to block the vents preventing larger chunks of slime form getting through.

Back