Switched to Sump Now Nitrates are high !!!

Civicdemon

Go Big Or Go Home !
Ok so for any of you that have seen my other post you know i recently switched over to a sump from canister filters. So before with my canister filters i had between 5ppm and 10 ppm nitrate and everything els was testing fine. Now that i have had the sump, since the beggining of setting it up im at over 20ppm nitrate and its bugging me lol. Everything in my tank seems to be doing better do, Corals are more open and i have a grip of copepods on my glass, Anyways this is what i did.

I put in my sump, i added all the roble rock from my canister filters into the refugium overflow side, I also added 10 pounds of new Cured Live rock into the refugium section with some chaeto, But now im having the nitrate issues, i just recently switched over to using red sea reef pro salt, im hopping this will help with my corals looking even better, But nitrates are still the same. i have ben trying to bring them down this week doing a 25% water change 3 times in the week. i have done it 2 times already and it seems a little better, hopefully when i do it again tommorow it will improve some more.

Since my last post i have since given 2 firefish away. Im also thinking it might be because im not using a filter sock on the refugium side and i still have no clean up crew on that side ??? the sump section i clean the filter sock every 3 days.

Well any help would be great !!!!

Thanks Guys.

Just a few other questions so that we can help out - are you using ro/di? do you have a protein skimmer yet? what type of test kit are you using and is it the same kit you were using before? how much food are you feeding and how often?

I think that the disturbing of the filter media stirred up some :pooh:
Anytime that you make a major change to tank, there is a chance of disturbing things and causing spikes. It also takes time for the cheato to start doing its work. I would keep up with the water changes and keeping and eye on it.

Yes im using ro di water. Tested it before putting it in the dt everything at zero. Currently do have a protein skimmer. I feed my tank a strip pf nori on the clip everyday along with frozen mysis shrimp ones a day just whatever they eat in 2 to 3 minutes. And im using the api saltwater master test kit. Same kit as before.

Last edited:
Ok sounds good hopefully the nitrates get undercontrol soon. Nut on the other hand since iv ben using red sea reef pro my corals look way better.

Back