T-5 Comparison

Grouper954

Reefer Addict
So I got rid of my Deep Blue SolarMax H.E. 2 for about $50......

Time for a new light for my 55 gal. My price range is <$350 and I've been looking at two in particular.

-The first is a Sunlight Supply Tek 48 inch, 4x54w T5 fixture. No bulbs included.

-The second is a Deep Blue Extreme SolarXtreme 48 inch, 4x54w fixture. Bulbs & timer included.

I can get either for $250 brand new, and would upgrade bulbs in the Deep Blue. Has anyone used either fixture? Any input?

I am a fan of catalina myself I think they produce very quality lighting.. Jim is also great to deal with..

i have recently purchased the sunlight 48" with 4x54. 2 12000k and 2 460 actinic. and 4 blue leds. i love my light. it has a timer for all three sets of lights. there for it only requires 1 power cord. there are a few things that i dont like about the light though. instead of resting ontop of the edges of the aquarium, it clamps onto the side, therefor i cant use my glass lids. i will have to get some custom made with notches cut out. but this also alows the light to be flipped up for access to the tank. also it runs hot, VERY hot. i made the mistake of not using the supplied legs and just set the light directly ontop of the glass, which in turn cracked my lid from the heat. but other then that, the price was right, just 150 with free shipping and handeling and no tax. also it didnt come with any instructions for the timer, but all you have to do is call the company and they will email you a set of instructions right away. highly recomended for the price. i hope this helps.

Back