T5 Bulb Combination Suggestions

ltkenbo

Reefing newb
I've got $100 store credit at a fish store I used to frequent, but I don't live in the city anymore. My mom still lives there however, so I'm planning on ordering something and having her send it to me. I really need some T5 bulbs, so I called the store to see what they have available or can order. The guy told me his supplier can get him either "Wavepoint" or "Zoo Med" brand bulbs. From what I've seen online so far, Wavepoint seems better and has more options.

I'm wondering with these bulbs, what would be a good combination?

For reference I have a 6 bulb fixture now and have 2 ATI blue, & 2 ATI aquablue (and originally wanted to get 2 more UVL super actinics but didn't cause I had an algae breakout and wanted to try 4 bulbs). My bulbs are old and are from my old 55. I have a 75 gallon reef tank now.

I want something that will really bring out the colors in corals and have good growth. I like the deep blue & purple, but I wouldn't want pure that color, still some daylight. Anyways if there are any suggestions of combinations with one of those brands of bulbs let me know. If these bulbs are crap though let me know, I can always just buy something else locally or online but I need some bulbs now and wanted to see if I could use this credit for that.

i dont know how they would cross over but maybe, 2-Coral Plus:Combines the properties of a Blue Plus (~50%) + Aquablue Special (~40%) + Purple Plus (~10%) producing a bulb with an approximate color temperature of 15000K+. Appears cool, crisp white to the eye. 1-Aquablue Special: Combines the properties of a full-spectrum bulb with an elevated blue color peak producing a bulb with an approximate color temperature of 15000K. 1-Purple Plus: Combines the properties of a full spectrum bulb with strong red and blue components producing a bulb with excellent color-rendition that works very well for bringing out the pinks, purples and reds in an aquarium. 1-Blue Plus: Combines the properties of a blue bulb (approximately 460nm) with an actinic bulb (approximately 420nm) producing an intense blue light with high PAR numbers and a light spectrum that encourages both bluing in SPS corals and fluorescence in capable corals. 1-True Actinic: Produces a violet-blue light that is designed to maximize fluorescence in capable corals and make livestock colors pop.

I asked this question a few months ago, and many people told me to try 1 coral plus, 1 purple plus, and 4 blue plus. I haven't tried it yet, but that's what people told me on multiple forums.

i have a 4 bulb t5 ho light on my 55 gal and i run 1 coral +, 1 purple +, 1 blue +, and 1 antinic. i want to change the antinic out for a true antinic

if it was my tank i would run 2 coral +, 1 purple + with a true antinic, and 1 blue + with a true antinic. i think that would give good growth and great color pop. but that is my opinion. its all on how you want your tank to look and what corals you want to have

Call John at Reef Geeks and tell him exactly what you're looking for as far as color and growth in your tank and he'll be able to give you bulb recommendations. Everyone that's ever used them have been more then satisfied.

Call John at Reef Geeks and tell him exactly what you're looking for as far as color and growth in your tank and he'll be able to give you bulb recommendations. Everyone that's ever used them have been more then satisfied.

Yeah that's where I ordered before, and I was happy with the bulbs they got me. I wonder if they will have any black friday specials. I'm thinking about not getting these bulbs, ordering some from reef geek, then getting maybe some new koralias or something with my store credit (having my mom pick them up). I'll probably just have her call me when she goes in there and tell me what she sees and have her pick some stuff, this store didn't always have the best reef equipment selection.

Also I was talking to the person at my LFS the other day, and he said he wouldn't recommend using actinics since they have like 50% the light output. Isn't some actinic light beneficial to coral growth and I know it makes the colors look better right?

Back