t5 fixture bulb opinion

PufferGuy

Reefing newb
So with Christmas going by, im gonna have some extra cash to spend and i need to replace my bulbs.

I have a 36 inch Odyssea T5 fixture over a 40gal mixed reef. Right now it has the bulbs it came with which is 2 actinics and 2 10ks.

Im looking for opinions on what bulbs i should get, i like the vibrant, colorful look, so what lights do you guys recommend? Should i get actinics still?? go for 14k instead of 10ks?? let me know what you think.

Thanks

thanks, from what i gathered so far, to have that REEF look i definitely need some actinics. (correct me if im wrong)

haven't had a chance to call ReefGeek, with Christmas going on i figured id wait until after, but im still kinda researching on my own

That depends on the look you want.When I had my 8 bulb T-5s,I was only running one actinic bulb out of the 8.

you happen to have a pic of what that looked like??

basically i just like the look of the tank when the colors are really vibrant and "pop out" and are very distinct..

These pics were taken under my old T-5s.
PurpleMonti.jpg

Digitata-1.jpg

stoniecupcoral.jpg

I wish I had wrote down the bulb configuration I was using.

If you fill it with 20k bulbs (I think somebody is producing them now, not sure though) then you probably won't need an actinic for a nice blue glow. 18k's are pretty close to them anyhow and you'll see better growth and color with them I think than a 50/50 split between actinic and 10k.

Back