Tail Rot/Fin Rot

jswinberlin

Reefing newb
I really liked this little six line wrasse that I saw in the pet store. After coming home and researching I decided he would be a good addition to my tank.

Either I wasn't observant enough or something happened in transport or introduction to the tank because I noticed after a day that half of his tail fin was missing. My daughter thinks it's an uncanny coincidence since we tried to take her and her friend to see the Dolphin Tale movie this weekend and they were sold out. She thinks it's our destiny to save the little fellow...and I don't disagree.:h5:

I turned off my protein skimmer and began dosing with Melafix. I have a 45 gallon tank and I plan to dose with 4 tsp per day for 5-7 days and do a 25% water change.

Does this sound like the right approach? He is eating and swimming around okay. When I turn my protein skimmer on after the water change, what can I expect?

How long will it take for the tail to regenerate?

Should I continue treating the tank after the first week?

I appreciate any feedback.

Never, ever, ever treat a display tank. You might get away with it now, but with some medications you can totally crash you whole tank. If you want to keep treating you need to set up a QT tank.

But with the vast majority of our fish, if they are still eating, they will recover on their own without our interference.

I understand. So, it sounds like you'd recommend discontinuing treating and let nature take its course?

Also, is it possible to set up a QT tank only when needed instead of having to maintain one all of the time?

Can I just get a 10 gallon tank and fill it with water from my main tank? What are the minimal necessary requirements (ie...filtration, lighting, etc...)?

When you say "some medications", is Melafix one of these? What other medications should I expect to have to use in the future?

You shouldnt expect to use any medications, because if you keep your tank in order (good parameters, good stocking, good food etc) you shouldnt have problems with disease. An unstressed fish is a healthy fish.

And yes you can with the qt tank. Just fill it with water, put a heater in there, a powerhead and some PVC pieces for the fish to hide. Make sure anything you use in the qt tank doesnt go into the main tank, and this includes nets. Doing so can spread disease and the medications. No need for any lighting.

Thanks! He didn't make it.:death: Another lesson learned. Next time I'll pay better attention when selecting a new fish. But, it won't be any time soon. I think I need to wait awhile and let my tank and fish adjust. Plus, after what you said about the stocking limit, I think it might be better to leave well enough alone for now.

For such a rewarding hobby it sure can be frustrating and humbling sometimes.:bowdown:

Think I'll go outside and enjoy the warm weather for a change.

Back