Tailspot blenny nipping

AmberSunrise

Reef enthusiast
I have noticed the last couple days that my tailspot blenny seems to want to nip at my male seahorse. They have been tankmates for several months with no issues and the blenny never nips at the female seahorse who would probably beat the crap out the blenny LOL

The seahorse doesn't swim away or act hurt, he has no visible marks or nips. I dont know if its because this particular seahorse likes to hitch to the tree that the blenny is always munching on or if he is trying to clean the seahorse or if he is just being a butthole.

I am monitoring it closely and will update but thought I would post my experience.

Yeah thats what I am thinking also. No he doesnt really seem bothered, he just tucks his head in and closes his eyes. Of my two horses he is the more dense one though LOL He is very shy and slow compared to my female.

The blenny is not biting the fins or causing any marks at all. I know they are really algae and plant eaters so I didnt think he was being aggressive.

Try increasing the flow a little bit in the tank or give them a spot to hang out in a higher flow area to help the algae that is growing on him.

On a side note, the downtown aquarium here has cyano growing on all of their seahorses, makes me crazy.

Try increasing the flow a little bit in the tank or give them a spot to hang out in a higher flow area to help the algae that is growing on him.

On a side note, the downtown aquarium here has cyano growing on all of their seahorses, makes me crazy.

Oh no trust me they swim right up to the power heads wrap their tails on the end and blow in the wind like a dog with their head out a car window! They also like to rub on rocks and branches just like real horses do they are funny.

I guess their tough skin is not slimy like on fish so it sticks to them more.

I am watching the blenny really close but I think the seahorse is welcoming the nips.

My skunk cleaner shrimp has tried to clean them a few times too but they always run away poor shrimp Louie no one lets him clean them LOL

Last edited:
Back