Take Two

Piggy

Reef enthusiast
I got me a new fish. It's another clown. I've had it since Friday and it's doing real good. Been testing the water to make sure everything there is right. I plan on leaving it in QT for 14 days. Now for the questions. How do you add top off water to the tank? I'm afraid if I just pour it in it'll shock him. Also when I do move him fromThe QT tank do I have to do the drip thing (can't thinkof the word) to get the waters the same? Also I noticed that when he eats he spits out food so how do I know if he's really eating?
Also I added a star to my main tank. Do they eat shrimp? Just asking because I haven't seen mine since I added him to the tank. Plus can you have more then one of them? can they be different ones or do they need to be the same?

The clown will try to break up the food into smaller pieces if they are too big for him. I simply crush mine before putting it in the tank to make it a lot easier and rest assured that he is eating.

I believe that stars do indeed eat shrimp and you can add different kinds to the tank. I think someone else can chime in to tell you for sure.

Pour the water slowly Piggy or if you have a sump,pour it in there.

Are you feeding frozen or flakes?Fish tend to spit out flakes....try frozen like mysis,brine shrimp plus,prime reef.

Drip acclimate for about an hour is prolly the best thing to do.

Sorry,I have no expertise on starfish,maybe others will chime in...best of luck.

Pour the water slowly Piggy or if you have a sump,pour it in there.

Are you feeding frozen or flakes?Fish tend to spit out flakes....try frozen like mysis,brine shrimp plus,prime reef.

Drip acclimate for about an hour is prolly the best thing to do.

Sorry,I have no expertise on starfish,maybe others will chime in...best of luck.
i agree with freak..

I just add the top off water straight to my sump. You can add it straight to your tank, it shouldn't be that much water, so I wouldn't worry about shocking the fish. Ideally, it should be around the same temperature as your tank water. But mine is always a little bit cooler.

I would switch to frozen food. Flakes can lead to water quality issues down the road.

It depends on what kind of star you have. Really big starfish have been known to catch and eat small fish. I think if the star is starving it may go after your shrimp. I have a brittle and a serpent star in my tank living together with no problems, I don't worry about them catching other animals as long as I keep them fat and happy. You can keep different species of stars together, and you can keep different species of shrimp together too.

also if you dont dee it often then it might be a sand shifter star you can keep several and they dont eat shrimp

Just pour your top off water slow.It dont hurt anything to poiur it straight into the display.

Most starfish are nocturnal.as are shrimp.So a star most likely would never get a chance to eat them unless there already dieing.
I have one large brittle star,one medium serpent star,and a medium sand sifting star,as well as close to 100 small micro-brittles.

The star I have is a brittle star. It seems to like the rock. What I wanted was something to stir up the substrate. I've been giving my clown dry food. I had noidea they sold frozen food for them. So next time I go to the FS I'll pick up some. Thanks for all the help. Be prepared for more questions.

brittle or serpent stars are scavengers and they will eat shrimp if they are dead. I have seen mine eat krill that somehow settle to the sand bed. I have never seen my sand stars eat anything, really. As far as live shrimp, serpent stars are so slow moving, they could not catch a live shrimp.

Go ahead and add your top off water to your display tank, your corals that are right in the path of the water may shrink a bit from the cooler temp or the excessive water movement, but will return in a few minutes to full bloom.

-Dr Marco :sfish:

FirstFishAug2007.JPG

I added him to my main tank. So far he's doing good.
Shrimp20072.JPG

I also found one of my shrimps.

Back