Tang on sale/ Ogo Plant?

MamaJones

proud reefer!
So, I am wanting to get a powder brown tang for our 90 gal...which is in the process of being setup.
A LFS has them on sale for only $25 bucks...but it would have to live in our 30 gal for prob. 2 months or so.
I don't know the current size of the fish....would a small tang be okay in our current tank for awhile? I would move him as soon as the tank is all cycled.

Also petsolutions says that the PBrTang would only get around 8 inches big and should be housed in 75g or more...but I don't trust their information as they say a Naso tang can grow 18 inches and only needs 75g, too.

And does anyone have experience with an Ogo plant? petsolutions says that tangs love them and I was looking into getting one for the 90.

i don't want to get it if the risk of killing it is high

powder browns, are gorgeous fish. I think that you would really enjoy one. The problem that I have encountered with putting a tang in a small tank is not so much there size, but is that they are vigorous swimmers. I personally have had a powder brown and a powder blue in a 55, and they did fine, But they were only in there for about a month. Also powder browns are really sensitive, and with the tank being so new, it might be a better idea to wait until the tank is at least a few months old. 25 bucks is a killer deal but if the fish dies you will end up spending more in the long run. Just my opinion.

I would seriously wait until the 75g. has been set up for several months before adding a Powder Brown.Thin skin(scales) make them very easily prone to Ich so I wouldn't even attempt to keep one in a 30,even for just a few months.They are pretty slow growers so a 75 should be fine for one for several years at least.

Tangs absolutely love ogo,at least my powder brown and desjardini do.

You COULD keep it in the 30 if it is just for a couple months, but I think it'd be pretty much guaranteed that the fish would get ich, and there's no guarantee that it'd be able to fight it off in that stressful environment. It's up to you on this one, for that price, I'd probably try it but only if it was a very small fish, nothing bigger than a few inches in length.

I personally wouldnt risk,even at that price.Even small powder browns need a lot of swimming room.
Just my 2 cents.

ARGGGHHH!!! I'm looking him up, debating everything everyone's said and the sale ended yesterday......I'm calling the store anyway today...if they'll still give me the deal (and as long as he's small & good looking) I'll do it, but if not then I'm going to wait it out. guess that settles it.

Back