Tang or not to Tang

rwynn

Big Daddy
So, please don't skin me alive for asking this.

Would it be ok to have a super duper ultra mega crazy small baby yellow tang in my 40g tank? It is the tall variety(23'' tall) 36'' long.

I know it will outgrow my tank and I think the bonsai approach is cruel, but I have plans on a VERY large update in the next 24 months(sooner if needed actually).

My clowns, and mandarin and goby all sit right next to the rock 24/7 so I have this massively tall tank with nothing swimming in it. And I have full intentions of getting that large tank later and doing a large tang school anyway.

He will probably outgrow it in less than 24 months. IMO, the yellow tangs seem to stress the most with restricted swimming room. They really need a lot of horizontal room, not vertical.

Recommendations of a naturally smaller and slower growing tang would be appreciated if you can think of one as well....and if not possible a good candidate that would "explore the space" better.

My clowns, and mandarin and goby all sit right next to the rock 24/7 so I have this massively tall tank with nothing swimming in it. And I have full intentions of getting that large tank later and doing a large tang school anyway.

Sorry just didn't want to retype, I'm THAT lazy sometimes.

I am trying to not over stock my tank, but with the fish I have and no skimmer and no WC in over a month(I know I know but I've got some stuff going on preventing it) all of the bad stats are at 0 still.

I got a small yellow tang in my 29, I am really sort of sitting him till he gets moved to a 75 that my friend has, he was a free fish, so we could not pass it up, is he going to be ok in there or do I need to remove him ASAP?

From what I have gathered tangs like to swim in a single direction in a larger distance that other fish of a similiar size we might keep. That is the reason, rather than water volume for the larger tank. The LFS keep them in a much much smaller tank for months on end without negative results, so...its more about providing the "ideal" situation.

yeah, ive been considering a barracuda for my 75g.:mrgreen:. i have heard that the Kole tangs are suppose to de better in a smaller tank. Tangs do love to swin a long way in one direction in the wild. ive seen them in action.

Yellow tang in a 40? Sure.
Yellow tang in a 29? Sure.

Just look how puppy mills are run. Dogs are couped up in a 2' square cage their whole lives. But, they are pumping out puppies like there's no tomorrow, so they must be OK jamed in there....right?

Get a nice flamehawk or something.IMO a 75 isn't enough room for a tang either,unless you know 100% fact ,you will upgrade(soon)If you know your upgrading ,just wait it out,it will be worth it,at least the tang will think so.

yeah, i know. i want a tang pretty bad but i dont think i can upgrade in time. im suppose to be getting married next year. between that, place to live, and honeymoon there is not much $ left for the tank of my dreams. One day though..... one day

Back