Tang Problem

godzilla3063

Reefing newb
I have been a big fan of tangs over the past 20 years. I have about 10 tangs in my 180 gal reef currently and it will soon be 1/2 that. The problem I have is most of them are getting thinner. The easiest sign a tang is healthy is thickness in the head along with the full belly. My tangs seem to be eating a lot but after about 6 months, you can notice them to start to get thinner behind the eyes. So much so that in my buck tooth tang, you can start to see his spines. It seems the only two it has not affected are the two small hippos, the yellow tang and the Sailfin. The rest are eating everything but continue to get thinner. The last time I encountered this issue, I was told it was a disease that affects surgeon fish and I don't remember how I treated it.

Looking for some assistance and any help would be appreciated.

thanks

Really sorry to hear that - i'm a big giant tang fan too and i totally know what you are talking about. I have a tank full of fat tangs.
post a picture. but assuming you can't see any parasites and this isn't HLLE (which is easy to spot) - this may be bacterial or flukes. There are treatments for those issue but as you probably know it will have to be in a treatment tank.

Back