Tangs and aggression

Mattyice008

Reefing newb
Ok so I have a small yellow tang, and he has been doing great in my tank since I got him(About 2 months now). My friend wanted to get rid of his Tomini tang, and it was free so I just said ok. I put him in last night, and the yellow tang kindof backs up into him, and chases him every once in a while, and keeps him out of his spot.
They are the same size, maybe the tomini is a little bigger

Any tips on how to get the yellow tang to just chill a little more?

If you have them in that 30 gal, there's nothing you can really do. Too small of a tank will cause stress and aggression. If the tank was larger, then they'd eventually get along.

If you have them in that 30 gal, there's nothing you can really do. Too small of a tank will cause stress and aggression. If the tank was larger, then they'd eventually get along.

Alright. I guess wait about a week and see if they can get along?
They pay less and less attention to each other as the day goes on.
I'll just hope for the best, and if it doesn't work out I'll get him to a good home

You shouldn't have any tang in a 30 gallon tank... A tank that size will cause them to stress, get sick and act aggressively towards other animals. Tangs can be easy fish to keep, but only if you provide them with the correct environment for their needs. I would consider finding both of them a new home, the aggression notwithstanding. They just need a much larger tank to be healthy.

They wont get along in a 30 gallon, because the tank is roughly 1/3 the size that it should be for either of those fish, which will increase aggression, and will likely cause the fish to get sick

Back