Tangs not getting along

Northstar24

The Tang Herder
I've got a 180 and added a 3" Kole Tang and a 5" Naso tang this afternoon, previoulsly I had a 4" Sailfin in the tank. I got some advice both here and at my LFS that adding the other two tangs on my stocking list at the same time was ideal, and it just so happened that after coming back from my honeymoon, the LFS had both tangs I wanted.

The sailfin and the Naso swim around like they're childhood friends, but the sailfin swats the Kole with its tail, with the Kole occasionally swatting back. I assume that a little bit of this right off the bat is normal while they establish a pecking order, but how long is too long before I need to pull the Kole or the Sailfin out?

From what I hear, it's unpredictable. As long as it's not affecting the new tang's ability to get food and is not getting nipped, I don't see it as a problem. If it gets worse, You can try rearranging the rocks.

Every time I've added a new tang, it's taken them about a week to settle in. As long as everyone is getting food and isn't getting shredded too badly, they should get past it.

The Kole is behind the rocks, but he has ventured out a bit, only to be chased when the Sailfin sees him - I'm going to give it ~24 hours or so and see how it progresses

I have a Sailfin and a Tomini. They're good with each other for the most part, but every once in awhile they take some swipes at each other. Nobody's ever been really hurt so I don't worry about it much. They've never interfered with the other eating, though. You could always feed at two ends of the tank. The Sailfin can't be in two places at once.

I have a Sailfin and a Kole. The Sailfin was there first. When I added the Kole, they swatted tails for a few days. Now, they get along great. I would give it a few days.

I think i was just over-reacting, went to go get some dinner and when I came back all three were following each other around the tank

Here is the Naso (new)
IMG_0061.jpg

The Kole (new)
IMG_0065.jpg

And the Sailfin
IMG_0055.jpg

+1 Biff I've got a sailfin, orange shoulder, and a yellow tang..they will all bicker back and forth but nothing that gets out of hand, I wouldn't worry about it too much.... My sailfin is the most docile of the bunch...my yellow bickers with my trigger more than the other tangs, when the trigger has had enough of it, you'll hear him start whacking his tail on the rocks all the way across the room...My orange shoulder makes a solid attempt to piss everybody off everyday.

I am lucky, I recently added 6 Tangs all at once to my tank without any problems what so ever. If they start fighting again try turning the lights off on them for a day or two.

The Naso does have a few light spots, I did not see those with the lights that the lfs had on the tank. Both tangs were at the store since Nov 1st, and both ate readily at the store. I'll try and take better photos of the Naso tomorrow. Is it something I should be worried about?

The Naso does have a few light spots, I did not see those with the lights that the lfs had on the tank. Both tangs were at the store since Nov 1st, and both ate readily at the store. I'll try and take better photos of the Naso tomorrow. Is it something I should be worried about?

Depends...what do the blotches look like? do they look life scuff marks or bite marks? maybe he was being picked on by another fish at the LFS? If so, that'll heal.

Or do they look like sores of some kind?

Lights are out so I can't see much right now, it doesn't look like a sore or a scuff mark though. I looked at the link Biff posted with the trigger and it really doesn't look like that either, it's almost like it's just two shades of grey (could he be in his darkening phase?) the tank at the LFS was full of several other fish that had been there since Nov 1st like the Naso and they all looked fine. My LFS is pretty good, and makes you put a fish on hold if they don't think it should leave, if it had velvet I don't think they would have sold it, but now I'm worried....

Back