Tangs

Ukfan369

Reefing newb
I have seen on here where people say 1inch of fish per five gallons. Here is my problem i have heard you need a 55+ gallon tank to hold tangs, rabbitfish etc.. But how do this fish survive for lengthy periods at the lfs when there is like 4 or 5 fish that size in a 20ga or less tank. Also what will happen if you put one in an undersized tank?

LFS get away with it because their turnover rate is quick. If you put them in to small of a tank they will stress which leads to ick or some other disease which ends in their death.

if you put it in an undersized tank it will stunt its growth and it wont give it enough room to swim, and at the fish store those fish are only in those tanks for like a couple weeks, its not a long term holding tank like the one you have would be

Thats exactly what it is....a holding tank until they are sold.Although they maybe okay for awhile.In the long run,it only causes stress and illness like Ich.

if you put it in an undersized tank it will stunt its growth and it wont give it enough room to swim, and at the fish store those fish are only in those tanks for like a couple weeks, its not a long term holding tank like the one you have would be

Sorry dustin, contrary to freshwater fish, marine fish actually don't stop growing in a small tank... They just keep growing. So eventually it is their large size and lack of swimming room that stresses them and leads to death.

Last edited:
90% of the tangs and rabbitfish that come into the LFS I help at,are there less than a week.
And the owner wont sale you a fish that your tanks to small for.

Dustin I thought it was going to be about the pluralized form of something reguarding the female anatomy that you will learn about later on when you grow up. Not the delicious orange powder drink.

Everyone is exactly right. The LFS doesn't keep fish for more than a week, usually. I'd guess most of the time, it's probably only a few days (at least, my LFS gets a new shipment in once a week, which means that most of their livestock is sold within a week). They don't have to worry about keeping them healthy long term. Same with anemones and corals. People say all the time, "I know I have crappy lights, but my LFS was keeping it under a single fluorescent bulb!" Well, your LFS was only keeping it alive long enough to sell it, not give it a lifetime of health.

Back