Tangs

Wes888

Reef enthusiast
I have 2 blue hippo tangs and they are about 5" now, and I'm thinking getting another 1 or 2 different tangs. Would they be ok since I've heard tangs don't like other tangs.

I think it's a toss up. I have 3 in my 125, and the new guy always got the shit kicked out of him for a few days and then their BFF's. I would try some small ones so there is no obvious threat to the 2 you have

I have 3 in my 90, and they get along fine, although they did fight when I added the recent 2.

If you get more tangs, pick ones that look different from the ones you already have, or are in a different genus (i.e. yellow tangs and sailfin tangs are both in the genus Zebrasoma, so they are likely to fight).

The good news is you have two peaceful tangs.It's always a good idea to put the peaceful tangs first before the more aggressive tangs.I say go for it,what are you eyeing?

A purple tang,powder blue or brown,small desjardini sailfin,bristletooth,kole.There are so many to choose from.Check the difficulty,some are somewhat Ich magnets but then again,so are hippos.

I think both Biff and I have a yellow and a sailfin in the same tank. I had my sailfin first, then got the yellow...they bickered a little bit, but no big deal..They argue with their tails. Kinda funny. My Foxface tends to play referee since him and the sailfin are buddies. He'll wedge himself in between when the tangs disagree. I wasn't in love with Yellow Tangs but got one anyway, I can tell you they'll sure add color to a tank..The yellow is very bright.

I have four Tangs in my Zero Edge, however I have begun to notice a little bit of aggression from my Atlantic Blue Tang towards some of the others, especially the Purple Tang. The ABT has grown quite fast and is over 6" now. He is also much taller than the others. I'm hoping he doesn't get too aggressive or I'll have to give him up. :(

I would think the Hippos will eventually spar some when they get large.

Come on ,be different...get a Gem tang or a Black tang :lol: JK
How about an orange shoulder or a chocolate( my favorite)..I do like the purples and Achillies too....so many nice ones to choose from

I love tangs I just added a powder brown to my 210 and will be adding a purple asap but the powder brown and the powder blue are aggressive and very prone to ich. a popular tang is yellow and he is very hardy.. i would like to get a lietenant tang they are very diffrent goodluck on your choice:Cheers:

Thanks. It's good to learn that they should be ok as long as they are in different family. That's indeed lot of choices now.

I do like the brighter color ones and I don't want to spend too much. So, the beautiful purple tang is out. $130! ouchy! I'm gonna keep looking.

These are some of the more peaceful, but active and good looking tangs..... Also a real deceant price range which is always a plus.
The Vlamingi Tang ( need a big tank though)
The Naso Blonde Tang
The Tennenti Tang ( aka Lieutenant Tang)

I have a lot experience with tangs you have to be very careful when add tangs because it better to add them at once. Other thing is that if you add other he needs to be the same size as the others because if not they will stress him out and you know what that does cause Ich then died so if you want to take a chance. But having fish that size in that in a 125 gallon is a taking a chance but hippos are the least aggressive

Back