Tangs

I've seen yellow tanks that were the biggest bullies in the tank.But I've also seen them be wussy's to.Just the luck of the draw on that one.

I doubt it. I've looked at the online stores for all the tangs, and they "suggest" a minimum of 70g for the one that need least space. You know how the stores are, when they say 70g, they actually need even more.

To me,It depends on the type and size of the fish.
If you put a 6" yellow tang in a 20 gallon QT,your doing more harm than good IMHO. But for stuff like clowns,dottybacks and gobies and such,a 20 QT would fine.

Why no love for the blue eye koles?

hehe. since I browsed the tangs by prices, it must be one of those expensive one and I didn't even get to it.

To me,It depends on the type and size of the fish.
If you put a 6" yellow tang in a 20 gallon QT,your doing more harm than good IMHO. But for stuff like clowns,dottybacks and gobies and such,a 20 QT would fine.

I see. What about a 2-3" yellow tang or Kole Yellow Eye Tang? How big the QT needs to be?

Just some tips for introducing a new tang to a tank with establlished tangs....turn off all the tank lights just before you put him in the tank. He/she will be less likely to get instant bullying and harassment. The next day, if you are noticing serious aggression from your older tangs, place a mirror up against one side of the tank to distract the other tangs. They will be more interested in a "newcomer" that looks more like themseves than the REAL newcomer.

Got a yellow tang today from LiveAquaria. Just my luck, looks like it has HITH? Or maybe just scaring? LiveAquaria gave me money back, but still...

Click to enlarge:

Last edited:
Not sure what HITH is, but it looks like HLLE (Head & Lateral Line Erosion). With proper nutrition you can nurse it back to health. Good deal LA refunded your money. They are a great outfit.

Frozen foods such as mysis, fortified brine and Emerald Entree. You should give her a piece of seaweed every other day or so.

Would something like that completely heal over in a fish? Or will it always have the scarring? He looks like a little fella'...I didn't particularly like Yellow tangs, but since I bought one, I really like the, the yellow is nice and bright, and mine has a really cool personality. Good luck with him. Nice that LA covered the cost, haven't ordered anything from them, but that's good to hear.

Back