Tank brace

Piggy

Reef enthusiast
Got up this morning and like every other morning I feed my fish. Well this morning when I did I noticed that the middle brace bar on my tank is breaking. So I called the place where I bought it and they gave me the number of the company. I called they wanted me to email them pics which I did. Then wanted more info on lights. So I'm waiting to hear from them. So I'm watching it like a hawk and it's gotten bigger. Was told if it breaks all the way through could bust the tank. So I'm nervous wreak just waiting. Have no idea where I'm going to put everything if it comes to emptying the tank. Need to do a water change but not going to until I find out what they're going to do. There will be no sleep for me tonight to worried about the tank. This really sucks. Just when everything was going so well. Guess I'm done ranting.

do you have another tank you can use to move some of the water in there to relieve some of the pressure on the tank until you figure it all out?

Even a bucket or trash can and just put a powerhead in there.

No other tank. I may have to go buy something in the morning. All I have is my 5 gallon buckets and all of my LR has corals on them. Also only have one extra powerhead and heater. I have no idea what I'm going to do. I'm so mad at this point. If I don't hear anything tomorrow I'll have to seriously consider taking some of the water out. But if I do that I won't be able to run my sump which has the protein skimmer.

The center brace on my tank has been broken for over a year. I know my tank is smaller than yours but I have never lost a wink of sleep over it.

duct tape

nuff said...

sorry if you didnt find that amusing...its 430 in the morning and I just got back from the frat housee. whoo crazy night

Once you have the clamp in place, get two pieces of 1/4" acrylic (width of the brace), one for the top and one for the bottom of the bar. drill holes in the top and bottom acrylic piece to match up (min. 4 evenly spaced starting at least 1 inch from the end), put the top and bottom pieces in place with clamps after you apply an acrylic, or all purpose glue that will bond to all of the materials, run a continuous bead down the center of each acrylic piece prior to installing, the clamps will keep everything in place, make sure the acrylic pieces holes are lined up, now drill through the brace and install a bolt (at each end 1st then the center portion), washer top and bottom and nut on bottom (use stainless steel and cover with a dab of aquarium silicone as well as the edges where the brace is sandwiched on each edge. (use 3/16 bolts min.) you want to leave as much of the brace in place as you can and drill dead center, stay at least 1 inch away from the crack. (if the brace is channeled you can put a piece of acrylic in the edges to take up the gap or just silicone it in. If it is channeled you may also wnat to install a piece of acrylic as a spacer in the recess or route the edges of the 1/4" acrylic so the center will fit up inside the channel. Hope something here helps. good luck

Yep yep listen to John and Capt. You could also cut out the brace, once you have the bar clamp on. Then you could silicone in a glass one. Its an option, thats all.

i have a 125 gal with the center broke out for about five years and it has never leaked one time.i would just get a 2'' piece of aluminum and bend it at both ends to fit tight,thats if you worried about it but i wouldn't.

I'm going to try and post a pic so you can all tell me what you think. Still waiting on the tank maker to get back with me. I really appreciate all the help.

120tank3.jpg

Here is a pic.

Got good news today. They are going to replace the tank. Now I just have to wait to see if they have one in stock. I know it's going to be a pain. I plan on replacing my sand because it's not as fine as I want. So can I get away with just buying dry sand or should I buy some live also? I know I can use my sand to seed my new tank. If I do it that way do I need to wash it out with saltwater? Plus how much. Also I plan on fixing any plumbing I wasn't happy with.

im glad youre getting another tank, maybe you can find someone to sell your old one to and let them fix it. then you could have a few more bucks in your pocket. wait do you have to give the old one back to the company? i know you cant wait to make this one better then the last.

Got good news today. They are going to replace the tank. Now I just have to wait to see if they have one in stock. I know it's going to be a pain. I plan on replacing my sand because it's not as fine as I want. So can I get away with just buying dry sand or should I buy some live also? I know I can use my sand to seed my new tank. If I do it that way do I need to wash it out with saltwater? Plus how much. Also I plan on fixing any plumbing I wasn't happy with.

save about 10-15 pounds of sand to seed the new dry sand with. if you dont like the sand you have in there now when you add it to seed the new tank just dump it were you are going to have the LR and then you wont see much of it when you get all set up.

+1 James
Happy to hear your getting a new tank out of the deal Piggy.But I'd still get a clamp on there to keep that front glass from busting out.
Its not really the brace thats broke,its the front glass bowing out pulling the plastic apart.

Back