Tank brace

+1 James
Happy to hear your getting a new tank out of the deal Piggy.But I'd still get a clamp on there to keep that front glass from busting out.

or even a tie down strap. the last thing you will want is all that sand and water on your floor

Piggy just a tip for the next tank. Cover the braces with tape or something to block the UV rays. They weaken the plastic which allowed the pressure to tear it.

What kind of tape? I'm also thinking of adding fans on the end of the canopy. The brace never got warm. So you think it was the UV rays that caused this? I figured it was a flaw when they made the brace. In the pic you can see the spot that I'm talking about. They told me a black tank would work better with T5's. Do you know if this is true?

+1 James
Happy to hear your getting a new tank out of the deal Piggy.But I'd still get a clamp on there to keep that front glass from busting out.
Its not really the brace thats broke,its the front glass bowing out pulling the plastic apart.

I'll get the clamp put on. I'll just do it tight enough where it won't fall off or break the tank.

Wow. It's been a bad month for breaking tanks! At least I'm picking up some good info :) When I get my larger tank (trying to go for a 125 one day), I'll make sure it's a brand with a lifetime guarantee so if anything happens, I can get it replaced at least. Glad it's going to work out for you!

Will be going to get the new tank this weekend. Have to take the old one back but don't have to clean it which is a plus. I'll have to go looking at everyones plumbing to see if there's anything I want to do different. So all I need to do is figure out where to put 120 gallons worth of stuff.

Piggy I am nearly positive that this was caused by your lights weakening the brace, we have had two separate tanks in my local club to the same thing when they didnt tape off the brace. I would try a couple layers of masking tape or even black duct tape. Maybe someone else will be able to help a little more with the selection.

If this is a problem it seems to me that they would put a warning on the tanks. I had no idea that something like this could happen. On a happier note. My neighbor had a 55 gallon tank that I'm borrowing to at least put my fish and a few corals in. Plus I got a new trash can. Needed one anyway seeing my son ran mine over with the car and dragged it down the street. Plus if all comes to worse I figured I would use the huge recycle bin that the county gave us. Whoever thought that thing would come in handy for something else. So I think I'm pretty well set on where to put things.

Got my new tank today. It took over three hours to break it down. Another 3 hours to go get the tank. Plus a few more hours working on the new tank. Still not finished. Still have the plumbing, aquascaping, and lots more to do. But it's so late I'm quiting for the night and will get done what I can tomorrow before the Daytoona 500 starts.

Back