Tank bred Clown won't host?

felixfish

newbie reefer
We picked up one clown with half white bands at the LFS. I have read that tank raised clowns don't host as easy with corals. I have a decent sized Anthelia that he as been swimming above and hangs out at the top of the tank. Will he eventually come down and host? We have only had him about 3 weeks so far.

Attachments

• nem.jpg
    nem.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 435
Hard to say, they usually will host something, but there is no promise that it will be an anemone or any kind of coral for that matter. Mine host one of the return pump outlets on the overflow

Its really a crapshoot as to if and what they'll choose to host

That's odd, I have been trying to search ways to host them, but i don't want to try and quarantine them or anything. We'll see what he ends up doing.

its hit or miss iv learned, my female dove right into my gbta but didnt even look at my rose that was in the tank for months before, my male doesnt host anything and its been 6 months so ya hit or miss

+3
Had my true perc with an rbta for almost a year and he stayed in a 3 inch squared area by the return pump 24/7. I added a juvenile at month 10 and after 4 months the juvenile hosted the rbta for exactly one day before big momma went in and kicked him out. Now they both fight for vacancy.

I have herd that tank bred do not learn to host. I could be a case of there was no one to teach them so they could not emulate the behavior.

They will host whatever their hearts desire .. I have had them host powerheads before.. the two I have now took a couple weeks but now they host both the LTA and BTA in the tank..

Mine are tank bred. I've had them for 10 months or so and they don't host anything...kinda sucks but nothin you can do really.

I have heard that if you put your fish and whatever you want them to host in a noodle strainer and let it float with them in it. That works "sometimes" Just an option

Its interesting that the tank bred clowns people have don't host but I am not entirely convinced that its a learned skill. It could be instinctive although sporadic.

Back