Tank Bred Mandarins

Live Rock

Reefer
Has anybody had any luck with these fish? I heard that the stress of shipping will make the mandarins avert to their wild behavior (eating only pods). How can this be reversed? Any feedback will be greatly appreciated. :blueflowe

I have one, it has given me no problems. It rarely will nibble on a piece of brine but I think it sticks to pods. It's getting fatter and looks healthy, so I can only assume it's munchin on the pods. I don't have a fuge, and I have had the fish for a while now. I THINK you have to put them in a really big tank, like 100 gallons, if they don't eat frozen foods, and slowly change their diet first using live brine which mine also will eat, then cutting with more frozen. Hopefully someone more knowledgable on this will chime in, but mine eats live brine no problemo!

basically, with a lot of patience.

A good starter food is fish roe, which you can get at an asian super market, or some other small foods from your LFS. Just cut the flow way down and gently turkey baste some down by him. I would suggest keeping it in a QT tank until it has the routine down, and then introduce into your tank.

basically, with a lot of patience.

A good starter food is fish roe, which you can get at an asian super market, or some other small foods from your LFS. Just cut the flow way down and gently turkey baste some down by him. I would suggest keeping it in a QT tank until it has the routine down, and then introduce into your tank.

So is it possible then to use this turkey baster method with say, some chopped up Ocean Nutrition Formula Two frozen food ? Or is the fish roe the absolute best thing there is for this purpose ?

It's whatever the fish feels like eating unfortunately (kinda like my son...the boy lives on carbs!!) And from others experiences, roe was the most appealing.

Nutramar Ova is supposed to work well too. I had a mandarin for a while (my wife really likes them - along with all sorts of other things that just aren't feasible)

Mine never took to frozen food, and it bolted into the rocks whenever I tried feeding him, I eventually found him dead on the bottom of the tank a few weeks after getting him.

I want to try a second one, but its probably something best left in the ocean - or at the very least out of my tank. I have several big, open water swimmers and I think all the extra movement kept him on edge

Back