Tank-bred Swissguard Basslet!

Discussion in 'Reef Fishes' started by FishyReef, Jun 1, 2012.

1. FishyReef

FishyReef Broke Reefer!

For those who have been following the story of the breeding and raising of the Swissguard and candy basslets, Live Aquaria Diver's Den has 1 of the 4 on their sneak peak email tonight! I am still hopeful that the guy who is breeding these guys will get the candy basslets successfully through settlement, but haven't heard any more recent updates. Has anyone else been following this story, or is it just me? (often times in my life, it really is just me LOL)

FishyReef, Jun 1, 2012
    1. Advertisements

2. FishyReef

BL1 ............. Moderator

It would be cool if he got breeding the candy basslet down. Unfortunately, from what I've seen the rarer/ more expensive fish tend to be even more expensive when they start captively breeding them. IMO, it really should be less expensive but its not usually the case

BL1, Jun 1, 2012
    1. Advertisements

3. FishyReef

FishyReef Broke Reefer!

Reefs.com blog post from just today says 3 of the candy basslet larvae have settled and are eating frozen!!

Yeah, it is too bad it won't affect prices, but one can always hope that it will in coming years. I also just think for sustainability and knowledge purposes it's a notable achievement. For now, I think the high prices are worth it just to put back into more research into breeding and rearing these fish. I certainly can't afford it, but hopefully the person who can is someone who is knowlegable and will respect the investment they are making!

Last edited: Jun 1, 2012
    FishyReef, Jun 1, 2012
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question