Tank Bred VS Ocean Collected

wsboyette

Fishy, Fishy, Fishy, Fish
Is there any advantage or disadvantage in buying tank bred versus wild fish ? Would, say, a tank bred mandarin be more likely to take frozen, flake or pellet foods ?

Hard to say, ws....some here have already gotten tank bred ORA mandarins that are supposed to eat frozen...but when they get to the tank, they find that they have to teach them how to eat frozen again. But it's still better to get tank bred, since it's one less fish that's taken from the wild. Some here will chime in about techniques they did to teach them to eat frozen.

Interesting - Mandarins can actually be taught to take frozen food ? I only ever had two of them; one starved because I did not have any copepods in the tank and did not know what to do at the time; later on the other thrived on prolly pods I had established after my initial failure. Ever since, I had just thought that mandarins would only do well on live pods, etc.

I had two of them and both grew fat. I fed them "Ocean Nutritution Formula one small pellets", blood worms (play with flow to make them wiggle) and orange sushi roe. Chances are better with the tank bred.

I agree totally with preferring tank bred whenever you can - what if the collection of fish from the wild grew too much ? Then there would be no more fish left......

Thanks for all your input, folks..... Happily enough, my new LR arrived today - so it's now time to get to aquascaping and putting the LR in the FOWLR ! Gotta get it ready for those tank-bred fish !

Back