Tank Cycle

cms722

Reefing newb
So my tank has been cycling since April but about 2 weeks ago I took all the water out to move it and set up my new tank stand, and build a rock wall in the back. I put all the old water back in the tank and have been cycling it since then. I know its going thru another cycle cuz its growing all this brown stuff all over the place. What would it be? And is it ok to be in there? I think someone said it was diatoms? Should I be doing something to get rid of them or will they go away on their own?

It sounds like diatoms. It will go away on its own. Some times it takes for ever to go away. You never know though.

Are you sure your tank is cycling, growing algae or seeing diatoms doesnt mean your tank is cycling. It means you have higher nutrients present. If you are using tap, the diatoms might not ever go away because some tap water has silicates in it (diatoms use the silicates to build their shells).

+1 on what little fish said.

After all my parameters were 0 it took another 2 months for them to go away for me. It sucked and made me hate my tank! What i ended up doing was just letting it be other then every 2 weeks during the water change i would take a power head and a tooth brush and go over all the rock. It made the tank look great but it didn't last long..... about 4 to 5 days and they were back.

It was already cycled once. But then I tool the water out to build the rock wall on the back and put all the cycled water back in. I was prepared for a mini cycle but then all the diatoms showed up and they didn't do that the first time. My clown has been fine in the water since the first cycle. But I'm wondering what to do to make it look better.

Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates .5
pH 8.5
SG 1.020 (I know I need to raise that a lil)

It had ammonia bout a week ago and the nitrites just a few days ago so I figure its got to be close to the end of the cycle. I was told that the diatoms, when they're getting ready to die off, will no longer look like a rust color but will start looking more tan. Is this true?

Never heard that one before. But, doesn't mean its not true. they just kinda dwindle down quickly to nothing. And looks as if your stir up did in fact just kick up a small cycle. Happens all the time when this is done. No worries.

Well I figured I would have a mini cycle and it pretty much did. Its been less than two weeks and its obviously already on the decline. And I did notice this morning that all the diatoms, if thats what they really are, are starting to look brownish instead of the bright red/rust color they were. So maybe they will die off soon? Its just EVERYWHERE. Like on rocks, on the glass, in the sand. I have some snails in there but I don't think they're doing much in terms of helping get rid of it lol

I'll keep my fingers crossed then. If its not gone in another week or so I'm gonna start taking drastic measures or something (though I have no clue what that'll be yet lol).

Going through the same thing right now. Hate it! Makes my tank look so ugly! Same thing happened with my freshwater tank and I just waited it out and now water is crystal. Best advice seems just wait it out seems to happen in every newly established tank. Good luck! Don't get discouraged tank will be sparkling soon enough.

-owen

Back