tank cycling is boring

dapple

Salty Dog
As said above what do you do to kill time while tank is cycling. 2nd week diatom bloom in refugium with awesome pod development but still to growths on live rock. Is this normal? :question:

Can certain corals be placed in a tank without a full cycle. I have Kenya trees growing out of my refugium rock pile I got from LFS. Will they survive.

Yeah, they may survive...but in the meantime while waiting, you can start researching the livestock and equipment you're gonna have. And then research some more. :)

Tank is going to be a reef with small fish of course 2 clowns. Blue tang. Prob a yellow tang. A goby (not sure what kind). Fire shrimp . Snails and hermits. What other fish is compatible?

Find another fish other then the powder blue tang.. Your tank is going to be to small for it.. They need a minimum of 125 I believe .. Yellow tang is going to be a close call in it...

Yeah, a 55 is too small for any tang. Check out liveaquaria.com they have great info for tank requirements for fish and you'll see that tangs need much larger tanks.
Lots of fun fish you CAN keep tho, I have about the same size tank.

My reef tank is a 75g. It has 85 lbs of LR in it . Basically a double pyramid design with caves and open centers . It's all Fiji rock. I like the 6 line wrassle and mandarin I have a pod factory going on in refugium.

Most tangs require a tank that is 6 feet long, they need horizontal swimming space. In a 75 you could probably keep a bristle tooth or a kole tang.
The 6 line is a fun little fish. I lucked out and got a nice one, I've read a lot of horror stories!

If you're talking a blue tang like in "Finding Nemo", they need a bare minimum of a 6 foot long tank, preferably an 8 foot tank. Bristletooth tangs (and arguably yellow tangs, although opinions differ on them) are the only ones that can be comfortably kept in a 75. The bristletooth family isn't as showy as the Blue Tang, but they have their own understated sort of beauty. Again, research, research, research. You want to make sure that you get fish that are compatible with each other, compatible with whatever inverts you want to keep, and will be able to comfortably live in the tank you have, even as adults.

A common mistake people make is getting a fish that requires a huge tank when it's small, with the idea that they will get a larger tank as the fish grows. Often this doesn't happen, and the fish is just confined to a tank that's too small for it. This leads to aggression, stress, illness, and eventual death. Or else they're forced to rip apart their reef to get the fish out, and that stresses everything else in there to the point of possible illness and death, and can also cause a nitrate spike as detritus is stirred up. Bad idea all the way around. And super easy for you to avoid, since you don't already have the fish in your tank!

Back