Tank Downgrade?

hibye

Reef enthusiast
I was thinking about selling my 125 gallon fish tanks because I can't seem to come up with the money or time to finish it. Plus my 30 gallon reef tank is looking hideous. It has been something like 3 years now and all that is in the 125 gallon tank is the gravel,two sump tanks, and a unfished stand. I also may think about putting my 30 gallon into a 20 gallon tank from the 125 gallon. I cannot seem to get rid of this algae. I have lights on for 6 hours now, parameters are perfect ( tested by myself and the fish store and they were surprised to see how good they were) I don't know what the problem is. I am guessing that maybe if I give the tank a clean it might do better. My heater just broke recently too. I am not having the greatest time right now with my fish tanks and am lossing interest in the hobby.

So what are you guy's thoughts on this?

can you post pics of your 30? let us see how "bad" it is, cuz I've seen some pretty nasty :pooh:. It's all about determination. I scrubbed the piss out of my rocks for the first 3 months, did consistent water changes, and checked my equipment to see if it was all working to my expectations constantly (and I still do).

Don't give up HiBye. If you have no need for a 125 then sell it and put that money towards your 30. If your 30 isn't a bicube then maybe you would consider getting one? I know I would've bought a cube had I not received the 29L for free.

It's a great hobby and gives you something to feel proud of at the end of the day no matter what. SO DON'T LEAVE US HIBYE!

Hibye, I felt the same frustration as you did with my 240. You are supposed to enjoy this hobby, and it's supposed to be fun. If it's not fun anymore, you need to change something. The solution for me was to get rid of the big tank and get a much smaller one. I'm so much happier now! If the 125 is a pain in your ass, get rid of it! You'll feel such a sense of relief. Then put all that energy into making your other tank even better instead.

yeap go smaller, dont give up the hobby... i believe having a piece of the ocean in your home is truely something special . i would give it another shot go with the smaller tank 30 or 20 get all your rocks scrub them good get rid of that algae.. my buddy went through the same he took out all his rock scrubbed them an put them in a bucket of ro-di water an let it sit for a week he had to wait a couple of weeks after setting everything back up to add anything but it was worth it, his algae never came back. i too have a algae problem im fighting it doesnt seem to be gettn better. :frustrat:

Hang in there lil' bro...that's just your frustration with everything...you have too many things going on at once, too many projects. Like stated, get rid of the 125 and just work at perfecting the smaller one. You'll find that joy and peace again, instead of the frustration and loss of interest. We're here for you! Good Luck.

Don't give up! Just do what you need to too to be happy. Sounds like smaller would be easier for you now. Stick with it and don't say HiBye we need you on here!

I just spent about 2 hours cleaning it today did a 10 gallon water change and scrubbed the rocks. I also got some of the white feather dusters. (they are a gift of god) I hope they start multiplying. What salinity,tempurature, or light hours should I have to get rid of the algae?

Here are some pics, it was a lot worse before I cleaned it.
11_07_3.jpg

11_07_2.jpg

11_07_1.jpg

11_07_0.jpg

I stilll need to get a heater and I will probably move the tank tommorow to a 20 gallon tall. Then I can put on the T5s that I have in my fish closet. I hope that the algae goes away then I want to fil the tank up with frags. Hopefually

Looks like it's coming along...the temp and salinity will not play a factor in getting rid of algae, so you can keep them within normal range, but what you can do is keep the lights off for a few days, maybe a week, and then do a nice water change before turning the lights back on.

The tank is acutally doing really good now. My salinity is something like 022 now and my temp is at 70. Pretty decent for what I have right now. I have been blasting the rocks with a turkey baster trying to make sure there is no "waste" or algea that came off. I am going to try and keep doing this. I just fixed my motor scooter today and plan on selling it so maybe I can get some money there. Thanks for all of the helps guys. I don't think that I will downgrade either. Mainly because I would have to get rid a lot of my live rock. I have maybe 50-60 pounds in there right now.

Back