tank equipment set up, this sound right?

jeepjunky

Reefing newb
Stoped in to the auarium store to have a water test done and get some info on converting to salt. The store told me that Im ALMOST there. I currently have a over the tank whisper filter. They told me that I can get a second whisper over the tank filter, change my light and get a pair of power heads. That is it for HARDWARE (I know substrates and live rock, maintence equip).
This sound right. He did say that this is all I need to get started, I would want to eventually upgrade to a refugium, or sump system, a skimmer...but they are all add-ons to make it easier. He said his personal salt water tank was only using the over the side whisper type filters.
Thanks

if you do that you will not want to run filter floss, just stuff like carbon and chemipure. you wont need to upgrade your lights if you want just fish. if you want coral you will need lights and powerheads. a skimmer would be helpful also.

Sounds good, Im looking at a skimmer on craigslist as I type, My plan is to eventually have some anenome for the clown fish, a tang, shrimp, and a few more swimmy thingys!
With my current "stock" lights I could have live rocks and fishys? Then when I decide to place the anenomes Ill need the better lights?
Thanks

yeah you can have rock and fish with the lights you currently have, a tang would eventually outgrow your tank, but you could keep one for a while

Actually you are much better of without the filters he is trying to sell you. A good skimmer is worth a million little filters.

Also, clown fish dont need nems and there is no guarantee that they will even live in it if you have one. Nems are some of the more challenging animals to keep this hobby, they require pristine water conditions, higher than average lighting and a mature tank to support them. If they die, they can nuke your whole tank from the toxins they release. So we dont recommend you get a nem until your tank is a year old and you are an experienced hobbiest keeping other demanding creature.

Also your tank is too small for any tang. They require huge amounts of space to swim, and keeping them cooped up leads to stress, disease and death for them. BUT! there are tons of other cool swimmy things out there for you to enjoy!

Actually you are much better of without the filters he is trying to sell you. A good skimmer is worth a million little filters.

Also, clown fish dont need nems and there is no guarantee that they will even live in it if you have one. Nems are some of the more challenging animals to keep this hobby, they require pristine water conditions, higher than average lighting and a mature tank to support them. If they die, they can nuke your whole tank from the toxins they release. So we dont recommend you get a nem until your tank is a year old and you are an experienced hobbiest keeping other demanding creature.

Also your tank is too small for any tang. They require huge amounts of space to swim, and keeping them cooped up leads to stress, disease and death for them. BUT! there are tons of other cool swimmy things out there for you to enjoy!

+1 to all of this!! :D

He isnt trying to sell me any filters. I explained my current set up, and asked what I "need" to get started. He said I could get a second whisper; BUT a skimmer or refugium would be better.

My thougth is if I can pick up a second filter on craigslist, and get the salt water up and running instead of waiting like "FOR EVER" to get all the salty doo-dads. It would be more enjoyable. + I could upgrade as $$ allowed. Or I could keep dumping $$ into the freswater side and keep stock piling equip for the day I go to the "salt"-side
Thanks again

You can run a salt tank without a skimmer or a mechanical filter, your live rock is your primary source of filtration anyways. A good skimmer just makes your life a little easier, but nothing will replace the need to do regular water changes. And your LFS will make way, way, way more money off you if you run that filter. A skimmer, you just empty a cup into the sink, a one time buy investment. The filter is going to require at the very maximum weekly changes of the media, otherwise you will run into water quality issues. That is why almost no one uses them in salt, too much work/money for such a poor return on investment.

So the live rock is the filter, get a skimmer, and have fun? As $$ come avalable get a sump/refugium. Also a RO/DI
This is what I have 55gal with a 60gal whisper ovre the side filter, heater, standard hood with lights, running fresh

So get 50# of crushed coral substrate, about 50# of live and dead rock, salt, and a skimmer let it run for a few weeks, test water, add a clown or two, wait a couple more weeks and repeat with diffrent fishys. eventual addons (over the year) would be power heads, better lights, refugium/sump.

i would try to add power heads early, little flow leads to algea issues. dont cycle the tank with the clowns, its cruel and theres a risk of them dieing. drop in a table shrimp and let it rot. you can start with say 50# of dry rock and 5# of live rock. definatly spend a few hundred to get a good skimmer it will make your life so much easier

+1 Nano, but you can add the skimmer when you have the money for a good one, no need to add one right away.

Also skip the crushed coral, that will just lead to water quality issues. The crushed coral becomes a crap trap, instead get some agaronite (sp?) sand.

So the live rock is the filter, get a skimmer, and have fun? As $$ come avalable get a sump/refugium. Also a RO/DI
This is what I have 55gal with a 60gal whisper ovre the side filter, heater, standard hood with lights, running fresh

So get 50# of crushed coral substrate, about 50# of live and dead rock, salt, and a skimmer let it run for a few weeks, test water, add a clown or two, wait a couple more weeks and repeat with diffrent fishys. eventual addons (over the year) would be power heads, better lights, refugium/sump.

I wouldn't go with the crushed coral substrate. It is nothing but a trap for fish waste and what not. I would use Aragonite sand instead. I am not sure if your LFS told you or how much research you have done but you will need to mix your saltwater with RODI water instead of tap water. Tap water has to many chemicals, dissolved solids, etc. to be use with a SW tank. You will probably need to go ahead and get a powerhead or two so that you have the flow needed within the tank and ditch the whisper filter. Usually a turnover rate between 10X - 20X is a good rule of thumb. I would definately try and get the sump as soon as possible. Oh and welcome to the site. :bounce: There is a wealth of infomation here.

Ok all Im back and getting closer to swithing over to salt. Ill most likely pick up my sump, skimmer and powerheads sunday...gotta love craigslist:)
Standby for a TON of questions cuz Im sure to have that and more.

You might be able to find a decent deal on a sump from CL, or make your own from a smaller aquarium (take a look at the DIY forum) - petco is still having their $1 per gallon sale on aquariums, so you could pick it up for cheap and convert to a sump with a hang-on-back overflow (rather than having to drill your tank). I would really do your research first before buying a skimmer from craigslist. A cheap skimmer isn't going to do you any good. Better to invest the money in a good skimmer and find a cheaper way to do a sump set up. One other piece of equipment that you should look into is an RO/DI unit to filter your water. You can buy pre-made saltwater or purified water at the grocery store but that adds up really fast (esp with a 55g). If you have to buy stuff a little at a time, put the RO/DI unit high up on your priority list (before lights and the sump).

Good luck & welcome!

You might be able to find a decent deal on a sump from CL, or make your own from a smaller aquarium (take a look at the DIY forum) - petco is still having their $1 per gallon sale on aquariums, so you could pick it up for cheap and convert to a sump with a hang-on-back overflow (rather than having to drill your tank). I would really do your research first before buying a skimmer from craigslist. A cheap skimmer isn't going to do you any good. Better to invest the money in a good skimmer and find a cheaper way to do a sump set up. One other piece of equipment that you should look into is an RO/DI unit to filter your water. You can buy pre-made saltwater or purified water at the grocery store but that adds up really fast (esp with a 55g). If you have to buy stuff a little at a time, put the RO/DI unit high up on your priority list (before lights and the sump).

Good luck & welcome!

Definitely do research on a skimmer before you buy. There are a lot of them out there, some of them work really well, and some of them are total crap. If you do find something on craigslist feel free to post it up here and we'll all chime in and let you know what you're looking at

I'm pretty new to all this but you will want a power head right away, You need water movement. You will also need RO/DI water, a unit or bought in the store, tap water is a HUGH mistake. Take it slow and plan it out and it should go smother. I don't even have water in my tank yet, been in the planning stages fir over 4 months. Just my .02 worth,

Back