tank got cloudy all of a sudden???

ZOOT098

Reefing newb
tank has bee crystal clear since setup

im in my third week
have had an algea bloom

now water seems coudy

is this just part of the process??

there are 5 red collar snails cruising around and about 30 tiny hermits right now

i run a sump setup so there really is no filter to clean

should i just let it ru its course???

put some filter floss around the end of the PVC where the water leeds in to the sump this might help a bit.

Cloudiness can indicate a bacterial bloom, but that would only be the case if something died or something was rotting, and in that case you'd usually see a parameter spike.

I'd do a 20% water change or so, and wait for it to clear up.

do you have a refugium in your sump? if so what kind of macro algea? Calopera, or whatever it's called, when it goes sexual it will turn the water green. but i believe you've just finished cycling your tank right? so i dont think that would be the case. Like Biff said it's possibly a bacterial bloom.

A milky,fogginess to the water would indicate a bacterial bloom.Check ammonia and nitrite to see if they spiked.Also check for any dead bodies(snails or whatever else you have).

A calcium problem would actually look like a snow storm. If that is not the case then likely it is bacterial blossom from something organic, significant in size, that is rotting somewhere out of site. It is not uncommon for fish to get into overflows or under ledges of rock and not be seen. No fish intoduced and lost? No major loss of snails or crabs?

nothing is dead as far as i can tell
its very hard to keep track of the little hermits though

i did put some macroalgea in my refugium and i dont really like it
im not sure what its called but its not the cheato that everyone seems to like, it a real fluffy looking plant, ill post a pic later

im getting some algea on my glass since i put this stuff in
its not too bad and my red collar snails seem to like eating it

anyway i did a 20% water change and it seemed to help for a day or two and now it seems cloudy again

What kinda water are you using?

RO water cleared up my foggy mess of a 55 gallon. I used to use treated tap water .

im using RODI water

i checked my calcium levels last night and im right around 450ppm which should be right where i want to be

i am getting some algea on the glass, im thinking i may be going through a bloom

Back