Tank has suffered from a major electrical shock!!!

Ariel110G

Reefing newb
So it looks like my tank has suffered from a major electrical shock!!! When I got home I right away realized that something was wrong, all my corals & my 3 anemones where all closed up line never before, invertebrates/cleaning crew are in shock as well & I think some are dead, all fish are just fine and eating like all always, when I opened my stand cabinet my refugim light was in the sump in water, totally covered!!!! I unplugged it right away.
So my question is what will happen to my corals & anemones, (one of them has moved already) and do I just give them some time to get back to them self, or for something like this do I have to do a water change ASAP???

you can do a water change to help get rid of any toxins that may have been released. but only time will tell if they will recover or not.

Water changes and time. The critters may or may not make it. Not much you can do at this point. I recommend getting a GFCI outlet installed and making sure your equipment is propperly grounded for future. Doing this would most likely have cut the power to your tank, and possibly saving your livestock.

Also it will shut off if you happen to stick your hand in the tank and there is an incident such as this. Saving your life.

Wow, this really sucks. What caused the light to fall in? This is my biggest fear at my house with three kids always playing around my tank int he living room. I hope everything pulls through.

Wow, sorry to hear, Ariel! Hope everyone comes out ok, but seems like James has you covered. At least it was in the sump, so hopefully that helped lessen the amount of current that flowed back into the tank, even if just a little bit.

Back