Tank --> HOB Refugium --> Canister filter

Freddie Noel

Reefing newb
I have a 46g bowfront that I am currently only running a Marineland 220 canister filter on and while I am pleased with its performance I would like to add a HOB refugium into my system, I was given a decent HOB refugium from my dad but the return pump is missing. Ive been thinking of ways to avoid buying a return pump and I figured I would go with one of two ways. First idea is adding a bulkhead fitting to the bottom side of the final/return chamber on the HOB refugium and connecting the intake hose of the canister filter to it and effectively eliminating the need for purchasing and using a return pump in the refugium and also eliminates the intake tube inside of the tank removing what is to me an eye-sore. The second idea is simply to insert the intake tube fromt he canister filter directly into the final/retun chamber. My questions are 1.) Is it ok for the water to go from the tank to the refugium directly into the canister? 2.) Will my overflow basket inside of the tank and my intake for my canister filter sync up for an even refugium water level or will my overflow actually overload the canister intake and overflow my refugium? In other words, will my canister filter keep up? 3.) Any other suggestions??
image.jpg

Hmmm interesting idea...I ran a HOB refugium for years on my corner tank. The water entered it via a powerhead in the tank and back to the tank using gravity. If this is the same type of HOB fuge..I have never seen a different design on one, it could work I suppose. However there are a few concerns. If its the tank>canister>refugium configuration. I think that would work best. Only concern would be the first chamber on my HOB was a skimmer that was powered by the power head. If you went tank>refugium>canister keeping the water levels is going to be next to impossible. Second one of the greatest things about a refugium is pod cultivation. I dont think you would get many pods into the tank through the canister filter.

I ran a canister and a HOB refugium at the same time but separate for many years. It was successful to a degree. You have to clean the canister weekly so you dont get a nitrate build up. The other thing I did not like was I was not able to run the fuge on a reverse light cycle. Now my tank (different tank) has a under sump/refugium and it is 100 times better. In my opinion this is the best way to go.

There are many different ways to do this hobby. Try it out but keep lots of towels handy. As Yote says if you aint flooding you aint reefing.

BTW the picture looks more like a overflow box then a HOB refugium...

Thats the overflow box that draws water out of the tank and into the HOB refugium. I have another picture that shows the entire HOB but Im not sure how to post it now. There is no "add picture" button now that this isn't the start of the thread...

If the water from the fuge goes to the canister filter, any pods that would normally get up to the tank would get trapped in the canister filter. If anything, canister filter should go first. But I'm not sure how you're going to make that work...

Interesting, so the overflow feeds the hob fuge... How big is the u tube on the overflow? Knowing that would give you how much water the overflow is taking out of the tank so you could match up a return pump. Like Sarah and I said though if you tried a canister for the return, pods would never get through it unless is was completely empty.

I think I like this design for a HOB fuge better, seems less chance of a overflow issue.

43016-2T.jpg

Id love to buy an entire set up brand new but for the one I would like its around $400 for the ENTIRE set up (HOB unit, mud, light, intake and return pump). My point here is to spend as little money as possible and I was hoping to eliminate the intake tube of the canister filter from inside of the tank. I inherited the HOB for free and I could get away with just buying a new return pump to place in the last chamber of the refugium but I don't want to spend anything I don't have to. I guess the two biggest points are first, the canister not being adequate to keep up with the overflow rate of the u-tube & overflow basket which would overflow the HOB unit and second, the canister not allowing the introduction of pods. I may just have to come off of the money to buy a return pump. *sigh*. How do pods pass through a pump and survive? New to the pods and I know nothing about them other than they are a byproduct of a refugium and somewhat good for your tank... I think... lol

Buy an empty tank. Petco often has $1/gallon sales. That's your sump. Or buy a plastic storage tub from the hardware store. That's a sump too. If you buy any of the pre-built setups that come with all the bells and whistles, it's really expensive. You can make your own for less than $100, including all the plumbing supplies and return pump. Then you can run your canister filter from the sump. Or get a protein skimmer and get rid of the canister filter, which typically do not do well for reef tanks.

I also notice that your tank seems stocked with fish that are too large for it. The sailfin and PBT require a 125+ gallon tank, and at least 6 feet of swimming length. The butterfly also requires 125+ gallons. It's not a healthy environment for those fish.

Thats the overflow box that draws water out of the tank and into the HOB refugium. I have another picture that shows the entire HOB but Im not sure how to post it now. There is no "add picture" button now that this isn't the start of the thread...

When you post an answer and want to add a picture or URL or if you are editing a post.. click the "Go Advanced" box.

Interesting, so the overflow feeds the hob fuge... How big is the u tube on the overflow? Knowing that would give you how much water the overflow is taking out of the tank so you could match up a return pump. Like Sarah and I said though if you tried a canister for the return, pods would never get through it unless is was completely empty.

I think I like this design for a HOB fuge better, seems less chance of a overflow issue.

43016-2T.jpg

That was sold by aquatraders and has been out of stock for months. I just got --in the mail today-- CPR Aquatics AquaFuge 2 Small Hang-on Back Refugium w/ Pump (New Outlet Design) from avalon for $112 + ship.

Thanks for all the help everyone. Biff, I don't have enough room under my tank to do a sump of any kind. Its a very small cabinet barely large enough to house the canister filter. I would love to do a under tank configuration but its just not practical with my stand. Sen, that $112 didn't include the light or any substrate though, did it?? And as far as the pods go, using a return pump (powerhead)... how do the pods get from the refugium to the tank successfully? I R CONFUSED lol

All the light you need for a fuge is a cheap clip on with a twist bulb from home depot. Pods will get banged up a little going through the pump but they are small so most make it with out a problem. Main thing is make sure to take any sponge filter off of the return pump. Sponges are bad, especially in a place that you cant get to easily to clean. Plus a sponge will prevent the pods from going into the DT. I would think a mag2 or 3 would work for you. Kinda depends on the headloss and how big the U tube is on the overflow. From the pic I would think its a 300 gph box but its hard to tell.

Thanks for all the help everyone. Biff, I don't have enough room under my tank to do a sump of any kind. Its a very small cabinet barely large enough to house the canister filter. I would love to do a under tank configuration but its just not practical with my stand. Sen, that $112 didn't include the light or any substrate though, did it?? And as far as the pods go, using a return pump (powerhead)... how do the pods get from the refugium to the tank successfully? I R CONFUSED lol

No, light or any substrate not included. It also does not have a built in skimmer BUT its a myth that you absolutely must have a skimmer. They're very helpful though. I've found that xenon or halogen puck lights will make cheato grow like crazy. I just installed mien yesterday and it looks and work great.

The pods will flow thru to the fuge and back again.

Last edited:
Back