Tank in the office?

Jordan

Reefing newb
I am kicking around the idea of a 14g nano or something of that nature in my office. Has anyone had success with this? I do not have a huge office or anything like that. Multiple people would have access to the tank, including a cleaning crew. Wouldn't see it on the nights and weekends.

I think if you got the tank established properly, with timers for the lights and I guess some kind of automated feeding as well it should be ok. I would just be worried about someone there during the nights/weekends accidentally messing something up such as bumping a power cord.

I had a 20 gallon long in my office for a couple of years. With the evolution of the 'green kick' and people being anal about energy efficiency it kind of divided our office. Some people didn't like that I was powering a powerhead, HOB fuge pump, skimmer pump, lights, and a heater for only 8 hours of enjoyment a day. Other people, including customers, thought it was pretty neat and enjoyed it. I had it until we had a blizzard that closed shop up for a few days with no power. I had keys but couldn't do anything for my pair of clowns and eventually they died. I was really discouraged and since it could easily happen again I ended up using that tank for a sump on my home tank (where I have a generator in case the power goes out for the tank). I was pretty good on water changes and feeding but felt bad I couldn't really give the critters the attention they deserved.

I had it until we had a blizzard that closed shop up for a few days with no power. quote]
I didn't consider the power concerns. I work in IT and have UPS power outlets at my desk. I am fairly certain management would frown upon me plugging the tank into those ports.

No doubt. Luckily i am a managing partner so my say for the most part goes. I would have to say i would be upset if an employee used that much electricty without asking. We have had a real tough winter and space heaters with associated electrical bills have already overtaxed our budgets all around.

I work for a
No doubt. Luckily i am a managing partner so my say for the most part goes. I would have to say i would be upset if an employee used that much electricty without asking. We have had a real tough winter and space heaters with associated electrical bills have already overtaxed our budgets all around.
I work for a Utility company. Please continue to use those space heaters. :)

I think if you got the tank established properly, with timers for the lights and I guess some kind of automated feeding as well it should be ok. I would just be worried about someone there during the nights/weekends accidentally messing something up such as bumping a power cord.
cleaning crew might think it funny to put bleach in it!

I wouldn't worry about an automatic feeder (whatever you have in there will be fine for a couple days without food), but I'd definitely look into an ATO.

I wouldn't worry about an automatic feeder (whatever you have in there will be fine for a couple days without food), but I'd definitely look into an ATO.
Erin when i go on hols for a week i get someone i trust to feed my tank inhabitants do i need to ?wot i mean is how long could i get away not feeding em before they maybe attack each other for a meal?

Back