Tank issues

timc1964

Reefing newb
We are having problems with our tank. Our fish are fine, 3 clown, 1 foxface, not sure the name of the other 2. We had numerous coral and an anenome all of which died. Have gotten on a better schedule of cleaning the tank about evry two weeks but have to add fresh water about every week. Salinity seems to be ok. I check that often. Waited about 3 months and bought another anenome, hope I am spelling hat right, and it lasted about a week then died. Any ideas???

Anemones require perfect water and a well established tank. I would recommend waiting at least a year or more before even considering an anemone. What type of anemone have you tried to keep?

what kind of lights do you have on your tank i am guessing that you do not have good lights since your coral is all dieing also

Welcome to LR!
We need a little more info. What are your water parameters?
salinity - ? and what do you use to measure it? It's also better to add a little freshwater to make up for evaporation every day instead of alot every few days.
nitrate - ?
alkalinity - ?
pH - ?
temp - ?
What do you have for filtration?
What kind of lights?

Hi and welcome.
As stated, we need to know your system better in order to be able to help. You said that you are adding freshwater to top off, but where are you getting the water? it needs to be RODI water and not tap water. You said that you are cleaning every two weeks. What does that mean? Water change? Algae scrub? Sand Stir?

+ 1 on everybody above the question's are to numerous to ask.. and salinity is the least of your problem's, could be chem's, flow , lighting..etc.etc could even be the clown's. anenome's are very VERY difficult..:frustrat:

Welcome to LR!
We need a little more info. What are your water parameters?
salinity - ? and what do you use to measure it? It's also better to add a little freshwater to make up for evaporation every day instead of alot every few days.
nitrate - ?
alkalinity - ?
pH - ?
temp - ?
What do you have for filtration?
What kind of lights?

+1 capt

we will be able to help better if you can answer all of these questions.

I hope I am doing this the right way.. In answer to all the question. Not sure what lights we have. Bought the whole set up off a referal from our fish guy. 110 gallon on to[, guessing maybe a 50gal sump on bottom. has protein skimmer, filter and some kind of UV light, fish guy said we didn't need it though. I buy RO water from the fish place near to us. I will start trying to add water thoughout the week instead of 6 of 7 gallons at a time. I use a spectrometer?? to measure salinity and just use test strips for the water itself. Not sure of the first anenome we had but the last one, rest its soul, was a brwon carpet. The clowns loved it but.... We appreciate all the feedback. thank you all.

ah, and we have 2 water pumps in the tank, one on each side. Had a thermometer, I guess I need a new one as I realize I don't see it any longer. whats the best temp and does anyone suggest a chiller? They seem to be pretty expensive.

If your temperatures are staying between 76 and 82, you don't need a chiller. Very few people do. Try to take a picture of your lights and post it here. I'm guessing your lights aren't good enough to keep corals or anemones if that wasn't one of the "selling points" of the tank.

I would strongly encourage you to ditch the test strips. They are notoriously inaccurate. Liquid tests from API or Sailfert are much more accurate. Replacing your heater is also a good idea. I would recommend a titanium model with an external thermostat. These are much more reliable and provide a more stable temperature. Depending on your environmental conditions (normal temp of the house, location of the tank, central air, etc) you probably won't need a chiller. If you see tank temps rising too high, a simple $8.99 clip on fan from Walmart blowing across the top of your water is very efficient and costs WAY less than a chiller. Just my 2c.

Tim, welcome. The #1 thing you need to do is get a book and really read up on the hobby. We can give you a lot of really solid piecemeal advice, but the best thing you can do is get a strong background to build on, otherwise you're putting together a jigsaw puzzle only getting one piece at a time.

There are also a lot of great articles on the site....you've got a lot of catching up to do, so start reading voraciously!

And feel free to keep asking questions!

With a tank your size, it will be a lot cheaper and easier in the long run to make your own RODI water with a RODI system. That way you don't have to make constant trips to the lfs. Sounds like you're using a refractometer - good job on that, they beat out hydrometers 10:1. I wouldn't get another anemone unless you want to risk it taking out your entire tank when it dies...you probably don't have a light good enough to support them.
Alex

Back