Tank Lighting Question

Bebop

Reefing newb
Love how this happens just before work.

A quick rundown of the problem:

Lights are set up on a timer, the LED's work, the fan works, the lights dont. I took the lid off the tank to see if the problem was the outlet and the lights look like they are lighting up, then they kick out while the fan runs.
So, my Biocube lights are dead. If I had to guess, I'd say the ballast broke sometime between last night when the lights went off and this morning.

I don't think I'm still within warnantee. So, how hard is it to change out the ballast? and how long will my Zoa frags be ok with out lights?

Bonus points for anyone in Denver who can tell me a place that might have the parts I need!

(Also, just remembered. I have some T5 lights that I got set up for a holding tank that didn't work out..they aren't quite big enough, but could i use those as a place holder until i get this lid issue resolved?)

Thanks so much guys!

I believe you can get retro-fit LED setups for the cubes now, you may want to take this opportunity to look into that.

Your zoa frags will be fine for a few days without light, but as an alternative you could use the T5's you have laying around in the meantime, there shouldn't be any issues there

Hmmm LED retrofit sounds like a good idea and shouldn't be too much more than repairs would cost anyway...know of any good ones?

NanoTuners is gone. RapidLED is currently out of stock, and won't be getting anything back in stock for about a week :/

Anyone heard of Steve's LEDs (Website)?

His Biocube retorfit looks legit, and its using Luxeon chips, which from what I know are not as good or as recommended as Cree's but there are plenty of people using Luxeon's to light a tank. And I don't know what a replacement ballast goes for, but his retrofit is only $249.99 on sale. Add in the electricity advantage and the fact that you wont be replacing bulbs and I think you have a winner

Only other thing I would add is think about how blue you like your tank lit, the 'stock' config for his retro fit is 3 blues to 1 white, which is pretty blue. You may want to have him adjust the ration of blue to white to 2:1 if you want a whiter look to your tank. It also looks like this retrofit is dimmable, which is nice. I'd ask if each color is independently dimmable, his description doesn't say

Last edited:
The thing is, I’m not sure if it’s the ballast, the lamp mounts, or just the bulbs :/ . I’m not sure where to get new lamp mounts but it would be $200 to get a new canopy.

Ballasts are $40 each, bulbs are ~$20 each (and I would want to get new lights to make sure it’s not just the lights…)

So, best case scenario: It’s a $80 fix. Worst cast it’s $280…so the $250 retrofit isn't a bad option. Especially considering that one of my moonlights is out and that's another $20 fix...ugh.

It looks like the retrofit is independently dimmable "2- Steve's LEDs digital Double LED driver with two dimming knobs for independent color control"

Then if it were me I think I would just go with the retorfit and call it a day. Those LED's will last as long as you have the tank - no bulb replacements now or in the future. Is your biocube the MH lit one? If so, you'll have a lot less heat transfer as well

My BC is the older one, no MH.

I have no idea what's wrong with my hood. I took it to a friends place over lunch, he has the same model. Hooked my lid up to his ballast...and one light flickers on then off, the other is on but only a fraction of the bulb is lit. Swapped the bulbs around, and the same thing happens. We both think it's a wiring or a mount issue...which means it's beyond me to fix.

I'm going with the retrofit from Steve since he has the kits in stock now. :D thanks for the help Northstar!

Back