tank manufacturer identification

bwaller76

Love my tanks!
ok so I am trying to figure out of my tank has tempered glass on the sides. I have heard that identifying the manufacturer is a good way to decide. Any opinions on the validity of this claim and does anyone know of any methods other than this to determine? There is a sticker on my tank that identifies the "maker" of the tank and I think, since I have seen this type of sticker on other tanks that it may help in identifying the manufacturer....that little anchor sticker...What better place to get that info...here it is...let me know plz

IMG00448-20091225-2034.jpg

:bowdown::bounce:

Last edited:
Supposedly you can use polarized sunglasses and the sun. Take the tank out into the sunlight and look at the tank with the sunlight to your back. If the glass appears to have 'spots' on it it is tempered glass. Completely clear it is not.

lol only problem really is that the tank weighs a frickin ton haha. Also have another question...may sound retarded but here goes. Most tanks I have seen have a cross member in the middle of the tank. I assume this is a brace. My tanks brace is broken. I have decided that it seems fairly easy to reattach a brace made of layered plexiglass across the top. Should I brace it with one brace right across the middle or I had thought about putting two braces spread equally apart. One other question I had is that can this entire top fitting just be replaced altogether and if so what are the details?

I have a Perfecto/Marineland tank with the same dimensions and none of my panels were tempered. I drilled the back and bottom panel of my tank and I'm pretty sure my tank did not have a tempered glass sticker on it. The tank I have was manufactured in 08 and your tank was made in 01. They could have changed the manufacturing process between builds and the old tanks could have been possibly made with tempered glass.

You may want to check the glass with polarized glasses before you drill just to be safe as the web link you linked to may not cover older tanks.

yeah plus im a major chicken so my friend lent me her polarized glasses but now comes the challenge of getting a 200 pound tank to the backside of my northfacing house to put it into the sunlight haha. I imagine that I am going to get it to where I need it for drilling and then if in fact it is not tempered I will go get the bit and drill away! I need to do some homework on
1. how big of a hole to drill
2. the diameter of the overflow plumbing
3. How far down on the tank to drill the overflow.

I want to make sure that my tank - the volume of my sump is taken into account...making sure that if all of my water flows out of my sump for some reason...the tank can hold it and vice versa on the sump. Any pointers or whatnot would be appreciated.

1. how big of a hole to drill
2. the diameter of the overflow plumbing
3. How far down on the tank to drill the overflow.

There are many different ways to drain water from your tank to your sump. So you need to to identify the type of overflow you are going to use and have it in your hands before you drill. Once you decide on an overflow it will be easy to answer your questions. I used an 1500 gph overflow kit from glass-holes.com. The kit included the bulkheads proper drill bits and the overflow box plus the guys at glass holes are great and offer outstanding customer service.

Watch some youtube videos of people drilling tanks and before you drill just make sure you prepare, prepare, measure, mark, and measure everything twice.

Last edited:
I guess I didnt realize that there were that many possibilities when considering an overflow. What are some of the opportunities that perhaps I havent thought of. I was basically going to angle off one corner or make a U shaped cavity with a plastic of some sort.

Contact your manufacturer. You should be able to buy the complete top piece with cross brace for that tank. You would need to remove the old one and silicone on the new one. Most common tanks are the same deminisions, so if you can't get one from your manufacturer you can get one from another.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgNe_OYgoL8[/ame]

2:50 "get into the corner real nice!"

Last edited:
oh yeah question answered!

despite one type-o which being a perfectionist I must point out.."perfect"...grammar fail.

marine.jpg

Back