Tank move (this is a big one)

HAWKS12thMAN

NWKRC THUG!
I'm moving to Cle Elum WA. This will be the fourth time I have moved my tank in the last 6 month, except this time is not just around town. A little history about Cle Elum, It is a small @$$ crappy little town in central Washington about an hour and a half east of Seattle! Its located just below the snoqualmie ski resort. They have 2+ feet on the ground right now so, its really cold in the winter (one plus side...... snow Mobil's to get to work!) and super freaking hot in the summer. I am bumping into many problems doing it too. Need some help guys and gals.

(1) I buy my salt water from my LFS. Whenever I need to move my tank they let me borrow any extra jugs I need for 95 gallons of water required to move my tank. In tiny Cle Elum there is nowhere to get RO/DI water. I'M BROKE! I need to find the least expensive, most efficient RO/DI filter. It needs to have the cartridge media also, again nowhere to buy it up there.

(2) This one kills my pride.......... I need a heater. I know nothing about them so whats the best wattage and size for me. Again, I'M BROKE...... least expensive, most efficient.

(3) Do I just sell the tank? I'm not joking when I say I'm broke.

Here is a link to the way I have been moving my tank. I plan on following this again as much as I can. Moving

Im sure I will have more questions coming up also?

I got the same ro/di as biff did of of ebay with shipping it was 100 buck and comes with the media. They say it will last a year but we'll see.

Ya, Redline and I have the $60 six-stage unit from the store called Pure Water Club on Ebay. Like OSC said, it's $100 including shipping. This was the cheapest unit I could find when I was looking around.

HA! You need a heater! I realize how hard it must've been for you to say that. I applaud your bravery. Go with two smaller heaters over one large one. I would go with two 200 watt heaters.

I can't answer Question #3. Only you can answer that question, Grasshopper, after looking deep inside yourself.

why aren't you saving your current water? your tank is 75 gallons right? it might be cheaper to get jugs and save your water and maybe get 10 gallons of RO water for the trip. I used rubbermaid tubs for my move.

As for heaters, get 2 150 watt aquaclear heaters. $22 a pop here. they work OK. Your tank doesn't need more than 300 watts. Not to mention, I have not met a heater yet that doesn't cook a tank for way more wattage and gallons than it stated on the package.

Don't quit.

-Doc

Why not take your jugs to the nearest wally world and fill them up for about 33 cents a gallon?

Yup. Wal-Mart (or grocery store) water by the jug plus Red Sea Coral Pro salt equals damn fine water with near perfect parameters at mix. For the time being, that would be much cheaper than an RO/DI unit that you'll have to find time to install and learn to use, as well.

Why not take your jugs to the nearest wally world and fill them up for about 33 cents a gallon?

The nearest wally world is an hour and a half away. Im moving to the middle of nowhere. You can hunt and target practice off your pourch. NO JOKE. the deer come right up to your window if you put alphala out.

Doc the jugs I own (5) 5 gallon jugs where $8 a piece. After salt,jugs, gas and water I think an RO/DI unit would do best. Thanks for thinking out of the box though.

Even if I did find a store with an RO/DI unit who knows how often it would be maintained. In the winter there you can get snowed in for weeks at a time.

probably is not the best advise, but selling the tank can be an option rigth now..till things get better...maybe yor gonna need the extra cash till you get a job..good luck hawks..i wish you the best..stay out of trouble

OK, I'll bite. if you are going to be so far away from anything even remotely human or civilized...it begs the question....why the f&%k are you moving there in the first place? Did you lose a bet or something?

-Doc

Wow, I didn't believe you 100%, so I googled it. The nearest Walmart IS 1 hour and 13 minutes away! I didn't think there was ANYWHERE left in this country that is 1 hour and 13 minutes away from the nearest Walmart!

It's a move of necessity not choice. I need some additional support that is not obtainable here. Trying to break some patterns I'm locked into Doc. NO, Biffy I'm not running from the pigs. I'm not moving until the day after my DUI hearing.

I'm thinking really hard about selling the tank and getting back into the hobby later.

Before you sell the tank, think about just selling the livestock. We all know that the startup cost is one of the hardest things to justify spending that much money on. If it were me I would break the tank down if I had to and store it until better times. Good luck, I had to move in with my sister when I was younger too. It sucks but it can really help out.

Back