Tank Neglect Gone Bad

ggNoRe

Reefing newb
Well, the past few months I have been neglecting my tank and it has started to show. I'm already on killing the source of the problem, got some new chemi pure, purigen, testing, and doing frequent water changes but I was wondering if there is an algae eater that you guys would recommend to help me get things back into shape. This is the type of algae I am battling..

With Flash:
DSC01827.jpg

Without:
DSC01828.jpg

DSC01829.jpg

DSC01830.jpg

DSC01832.jpg

DSC01833.jpg

Some Red algae mixed in:
DSC01831.jpg

And Birdsnest STN :( :
DSC01834.jpg

If that's green hair algae, my nano was covered in it when I first started it up. I added a blenny and within a month he'd gone through almost all of it

It looks like bryopsis to me, and I think there are a few other types of algae too. Remove as much of it by hand as you can, and some turbo snails should help clean up the rest.

I've tried numerous times to pull it off by hand and it just seems to grow back even faster. Also, I have 3 turbos in the tank but it seems they don't touch any of the big stuff. Blenny is also a no go as I have a small tank with 4 fish in it already. :( Crabs?

I was gonna suggest turbos also, they won't eat it if it's too long. Also, some reef hermits will eat some of it too. If possible, try keeping your lights off most of the day, if not all day for a few days and then do a large water change. Good luck.

I wouldn't normally suggest this for a tank that size, but I think a sea hare would make quick work of that algae. You would just have to have an agreement with the LFS that you could bring him/her back when food runs out.

The only thing I know if that will without a doubt eat that Bryopsis are Lettuse Nudibranches.But thats ALL they eat.

If possible, you might also try taking out pieces of LR and scrubbing the algae of with a toothbrush, rinsing the LR, and then putting it back in your aquarium.

If you have a sump, install a DIY algae scrubber...bye bye algae....I'll say it for the 1000th time...I have no idea why more people aren't using them. I can't keep 3 turbo snails alive in a 180g tank without feeding them the same algae sheets my tangs eat. It will cost you less than $20 to make and you'll never have algae or nitrates again.

If you have a sump, install a DIY algae scrubber...bye bye algae....I'll say it for the 1000th time...I have no idea why more people aren't using them. I can't keep 3 turbo snails alive in a 180g tank without feeding them the same algae sheets my tangs eat. It will cost you less than $20 to make and you'll never have algae or nitrates again.

I have always wondered what this "sump" thing that everyone is talking about is.

I have always wondered what this "sump" thing that everyone is talking about is.

It is basically a second tank that is connected to your display tank. Usually it's kept inside the stand, underneath the tank. The sump adds water volume to your system, and holds most of your equipment so you don't have stuff hanging off the sides and back of the tank. It also gives you a place to run things like reactors, scrubbers or refugiums.

Back