tank on fire

Pwny

Reefing newb
ya so i just came home to see my 240 gal freshwater tank on fire... this is no joke. my coralife 72 inch fixture caught on fire and melted the top of my aquarium fish are still alive from what i can tell but the bulbs burst in the tank ive been picking up glass out of my substrate. i dont know what to do yet, i dont make a lot of money and this tank took me a long time to be able to afford and now the top has melted plastic all over the top and burns... not to mention im out a light that i just put 2 new bulbs in that were $50 a pop. i came home and smoke was everywhere fire alarms were going off. thank god it didt catch my house on fire. i dont know what to do right now, ill post pics later there is a lot more that needs to be cleaned.

Can you find the source of the problem, light got warranty?? Have a look and see if anyone else has had a problem with the fixture.
But that sucks dude, sorry, but just find the cause first.

IMG_0728.jpg

IMG_0732.jpg

IMG_0733.jpg

IMG_0734.jpg

IMG_0735.jpg

IMG_0736.jpg

IMG_0739.jpg

IMG_0742.jpg

IMG_0740.jpg

IMG_0741.jpg

IMG_0738.jpg

IMG_0737.jpg

OMG!!! That's so heartbreaking! But like you said, it could have been worse if your house had caught on fire. It's almost enough to make you want to set your light timers to be on only when you're home.

it was pluged into a coralife light timer power strip. and it was a 72 inch coralife power compact strip light with led lunar lights

Damn, glad your home and everyone is safe. That is horrible tho. I cant even imagine. Like BJ said i noticed in alot of your pix yer bare foot. Hope u didnt step on any glass lol.

lol i do landscaping i walk probably 10+ miles a day my feet are so calloused I’m not worried about steeping on glass

WOW this really brings the light on to the reality of having aquariums,i am paranoid enough without seeing the pics,im more wary of the hot lights like halides though,had my 30 gal flood and short out my 250 watt halide balast,that was freaky all the popping and smoke,no fire though since i was home to unplug it in time,i would have hated to not been home or i wouldnt have had a house,i learned not to have the balast on the floor now

Sorry about your lights Pwny.Glad no one was hurt during that event.Hang in there dude time and a lot of money can fix all. Best wishes to ya.

Ok, now take those pictures and send them to the company responsible for your loss. Maybe they have something to help ya out. Glad everything (house) came out intact.

I'm with Sen, definitely do a water change. Contacting Coralife and explaining the situation is also a good idea, they may send you a new fixture. At least the damage was limited to the tank and no one else was hurt

Back