Tank operaton during day/night

arkansasboy

Reefer Wannabe
I am curious if all of you using timers set them up to start or stop certain functions of your tank such as your main lights and a power head or two to reflect daytime and night time conditions. Wouldnt it be a good practice to replicate the day/night cycle in the tank? Also, when it comes to water flow is there a real difference in the ocean between the day/night cycle? Do things kind of settle down somewhat after the sun goes down?

I only gaffe my lights on the timers, although I have tried placing my skimmer on the timers also, when the lights went out. I'm not 100% sure, but I think the gravitational pull of the moon is what causes the waves in the ocean.

I only gaffe my lights on the timers, although I have tried placing my skimmer on the timers also, when the lights went out. I'm not 100% sure, but I think the gravitational pull of the moon is what causes the waves in the ocean.
Yeah, the moon phases do effect tides but I cant remember if the wave action lessens at night.

I have my actinics (2.5 hrs at beginning and end of cycle), hallide (on for 6 hours at middle of cycle) and night lights (on at end of cycle and off after 3 hours) each on their own timer. I have my skimmer on a timer and run it through the night. I wouldn't worry too much about adjusting the flow. if you wanted to reduce it at night you could get a wave maker/timer that turns a PH on and off every 30 seconds to a minute or whatever.

Also, you could consider LEDs with a controller which will mimic sunset, sunrise, moon light (depending on phase), etc. I just got an aquailluminations nano. I'm waiting for the controller to come in.

My Vortechs go into night mode automatically, which is a reduced power setting so the flow is not as strong during the night. And my lights come on/off in stages to mimic dusk/dawn.

Back