Tank placement suggestions

Where should the tank go

• Total voters

BL1

As some of you know I'm moving into a smaller place and I can't decide where to set up the tank. Here's the plans for the apt. and a few ideas where I'm thinking about putting it. Let me know what you guys think.

This is my first one, I'm thinking about putting it on the same wall as my couch right next to it.
Layout1.jpg

My second idea is to build a tall stand and have the couch sitting directly behind the couch.
Layout2.jpg

And finally, I've thought about scraping the paint off the back of the tank and setting it up against kitchen bar. If I did that, I'd have to make a 4' tall stand for it, so it could be viewed from the living room and kitchen. If I did this one, I'd also make the stand the whole length of the bar so I would have room to fit anything I want under the stand.
Layout3.jpg

well start building it .. lol we could use another build thread..:D
but i still like that placement...

Last edited:
+2 fish....#3 looks best. You can see it clearly from the couch. If you put it behind or next to the couch, you can't see it as well.

Thanks guys I was just a little concerned about having the tank so high but, it looks like I'll start building #3 on wednesday. I'm excited about having a stand big enough to fit a huge sump.

I have a 42 inch stand under the 150 dividing the living room form a stairwell it is really nice having it at eye level when people come in.. pain cleaning but you get used to it quick..

Whats your stand made of? I'm thinking 2x6s for the legs (since it's going to be so tall) and 2x4s for everything else.

my stand is almost 40 for my 75,kinda a pain to clean and place corals,i have to stand on a chair and still cant reach the bottom,and im not a shorty either lol

nope went 2x4's for everything built it like a little house everything 16 inch centers, top and bottom plates, 4 doors headers in each door... two layers of plywood on top 5/8 sub and a 1/2 finished sheet... 2 coats of stain and two urethane for finish.. stand probably weighs 400 pounds alone lol
built it 10ft long so I could put plants or whatever on either side..

nope went 2x4's for everything built it like a little house everything 16 inch centers, top and bottom plates, 4 doors headers in each door... two layers of plywood on top 5/8 sub and a 1/2 finished sheet... 2 coats of stain and two urethane for finish.. stand probably weighs 400 pounds alone lol
built it 10ft long so I could put plants or whatever on either side..

Thanks, I think I'm gonna go with the 2x6s. The stands gonna be about 8' long with only vertical beams in the corners and right in the middle under the tank. I don't want more then that so that I can fit a 4-5 foot long sump down there.

I like the placement of 3 .

With my seahorse tank its very tall also so I have a small step stool that folds up right next to the tank so I can get in there and reach the bottom when needed.

I have a 55 gal sump and 30 gal refugium under mine.. just liked the idea of keeping them seperate so I could control the flow through the refugium.. :D
You will like having that extra space under it..

Back