Tank Raised Ocellaris Clown Pair?

drm180

Reefing newb
Does anyone know if there is a place that sells mated tank raised Ocellaris clownfish? My LFS doesn't have any, and I don't think they have any tank raised ones at all.

Thanks. I have two more questions. Does it matter where they are bred? Live Aquaria only has small tank bred in Africa. Also, what are the chances that, if I get two small clowns, they will pair when I get them?

What are you looking for in a pair? Are you wanting them to breed and lay eggs? If so, you are better off buying a "mated pair" -- but those are expensive. Mated pairs have regularly laid eggs together and shown that they are in fact mating. If you just want the two of them to get along with each other, two small clowns should be fine. One will eventually turn into a female, and the other will stay a small male. Even if they get along fine, they may never become a mated pair and breed. I had a pair of clowns together for 4 years before they mated and laid eggs for the first time. They paired up, were male and female, but weren't a "mated pair" for 4 years.

Also, where they originated from makes no difference. Sometimes there are slight differences in appearance, but it's usually not noticeable.

Last edited:
I will. They should be okay with my Smith Damsel right. When I got it the LFS said that they don't get very aggresive.

Back